Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FrankFed  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2021 12:30:30 PM(UTC)
FrankFed

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I submitted a request for relocation to another area based on reasonable accommodations and it is pending up the chain. Apparently I am one of the first to request a relocation as an accommodation. I have submitted medical proof and clear test results that show the environmental allergies on the high end of the scale (breathing issues for almost 8 months of the year).

My concern is can these things be delayed indefinitely? I was told there would be a 14 day review period once all paperwork was submitted but I cannot find any written documentation about it. It has now been over a month with no action or news. Decision makers do have the ability to reset the clock by asking questions and I have not received any questions myself. I have been asking (pestering) different people and getting nowhere. There is a surge at the southwest border along with the Afghan crisis that is on everyone's radar. Do these cause all other requests to come to a standstill and I just need to be more patient? Trying to figure out the expected timeline so if they are not going to approve it, I can start looking for other jobs and relocate for my own health.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by user Monday, August 23, 2021 12:33:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 3:24:11 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankFed Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I submitted a request for relocation to another area based on reasonable accommodations and it is pending up the chain. Apparently I am one of the first to request a relocation as an accommodation. I have submitted medical proof and clear test results that show the environmental allergies on the high end of the scale (breathing issues for almost 8 months of the year).

My concern is can these things be delayed indefinitely? I was told there would be a 14 day review period once all paperwork was submitted but I cannot find any written documentation about it. It has now been over a month with no action or news. Decision makers do have the ability to reset the clock by asking questions and I have not received any questions myself. I have been asking (pestering) different people and getting nowhere. There is a surge at the southwest border along with the Afghan crisis that is on everyone's radar. Do these cause all other requests to come to a standstill and I just need to be more patient? Trying to figure out the expected timeline so if they are not going to approve it, I can start looking for other jobs and relocate for my own health.

Thanks in advance!
Here is the CBP's policy on RA. According to this policy, you should have an answer within 15 Business days (so 3 weeks) from the day you made your request.

Of course, you are asking to be relocated. No unheard of (and I worked a RA at the USCG when I was there that was a relocation, so precedent in DHS exists). Part of the RA may be they will not pay to relocate you, so if you are ok with that aspect, let them know. Otherwise, they will have to ensure they have an open position elsewhere to move you to. The other side of the equation is depending on your job (are you A Border Patrol Agent?), you may find you may end up having to do a fitness for duty exam (as they need to be able to place agents anywhere they need them as situations evolve). The question they may be asking is are there allergens in the other locations you can relocate to which will create the same issues you have at your current location?

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FrankFed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2021 4:45:01 AM(UTC)
FrankFed

United States

Thanks!

It has been 3 months since my request. So it is probably classified as involving extenuating circumstances requiring supporting documentation and under "reasonably necessary" timeframe.

The RA officer depends on management to pass along any information. Probably have to get a new RA officer or escalate things to get any information.

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Here is the CBP's policy on RA. According to this policy, you should have an answer within 15 Business days (so 3 weeks) from the day you made your request.

Of course, you are asking to be relocated. No unheard of (and I worked a RA at the USCG when I was there that was a relocation, so precedent in DHS exists). Part of the RA may be they will not pay to relocate you, so if you are ok with that aspect, let them know. Otherwise, they will have to ensure they have an open position elsewhere to move you to. The other side of the equation is depending on your job (are you A Border Patrol Agent?), you may find you may end up having to do a fitness for duty exam (as they need to be able to place agents anywhere they need them as situations evolve). The question they may be asking is are there allergens in the other locations you can relocate to which will create the same issues you have at your current location?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed