Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BartNFocus  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 2:43:56 AM(UTC)
BartNFocus

Groups: Registered
Singapore

Hello everyone! I am currently on an 3 year OCONUS assignment. I come up on 2 years (Jan 22), that is also the end of my probation period. I would rotate back to the US Jan 23, unless I put in for an extension (No guarentee). I am trying to get a timeframe as to when I should put in for other positions, both GOV, COntractor or regular job. I put in for a position at Lockheed (A job that I am a shoe in for, well I thought I was). During the interview, seemed like I hit the right buttons and pulled the right levers, but Was not considered for placement. I am thinking it was because of my time here left. I did say that I was willing to terminate my position here in Jan 22.

When would one in my position start to mass apply of positions? I am also planning the apply for PPP, but I would think that would go into effect unitl well into my last year here. I dont want to wait until the last minute, but I also dont want to jump into the pool too early, like I think I did with Lockheed.

Anybody in the same boat as me? Any advise??
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 3:12:21 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1161 time(s) in 928 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BartNFocus Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone! I am currently on an 3 year OCONUS assignment. I come up on 2 years (Jan 22), that is also the end of my probation period. I would rotate back to the US Jan 23, unless I put in for an extension (No guarentee). I am trying to get a timeframe as to when I should put in for other positions, both GOV, COntractor or regular job. I put in for a position at Lockheed (A job that I am a shoe in for, well I thought I was). During the interview, seemed like I hit the right buttons and pulled the right levers, but Was not considered for placement. I am thinking it was because of my time here left. I did say that I was willing to terminate my position here in Jan 22.

When would one in my position start to mass apply of positions? I am also planning the apply for PPP, but I would think that would go into effect unitl well into my last year here. I dont want to wait until the last minute, but I also dont want to jump into the pool too early, like I think I did with Lockheed.

Anybody in the same boat as me? Any advise??
You do realize that with only 2 years of federal service, you don't get permanent reinstatement rights if you leave civil service at this point. And, if you wait long enough, you are back are step 1 as if you were never a federal employee, and will also have to do another probation period, etc.

If you are not extended, you should qualify for PPP (Priority Placement Program) where you are considered for positions you qualify for (you can start in one region, but it will eventually expand for the whole of US). You want to get to the magical 5 year point of civil service...enough time to be able to be treated as a federal employee for any application you put in even if you spend some time in the private sector, and enough time to be able to claim a deferred annuity at 62 if you don't ever come back (no medical insurance though...). 2 years? Enough time to enjoy some time overseas on Uncle Sam's dime, but not really enough to grant you any real rights.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
BartNFocus  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 4:45:25 AM(UTC)
BartNFocus

Singapore

I do understand the permanent reinstatement rights if you leave civil service at this point. The problem is it is looking like this position will either end or move to another location. Also I was being told they probably wont be offering an extention. I will be putting in the request anyway, but I have to plan for all outcomes. I am understanding that PPP is a one offer shot. I am trying to get back to the East Coast, but I was recruited out of AZ. so my first looks will be AZ, then West Coast, Then whole US. With my skill set, I am 90% sure Pt Hueneme or SD will pop. Not liking, but if nothing else, not going to just blindly turn it down. Just want to look at my options (USAJOBS or other). I am gonna do my 3 years here, just want to know when I should start interviewing and applying.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 6:28:48 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1161 time(s) in 928 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BartNFocus Go to Quoted Post
I do understand the permanent reinstatement rights if you leave civil service at this point. The problem is it is looking like this position will either end or move to another location. Also I was being told they probably wont be offering an extention. I will be putting in the request anyway, but I have to plan for all outcomes. I am understanding that PPP is a one offer shot. I am trying to get back to the East Coast, but I was recruited out of AZ. so my first looks will be AZ, then West Coast, Then whole US. With my skill set, I am 90% sure Pt Hueneme or SD will pop. Not liking, but if nothing else, not going to just blindly turn it down. Just want to look at my options (USAJOBS or other). I am gonna do my 3 years here, just want to know when I should start interviewing and applying.
I would double check the requirements to start looking in the AZ/West coast for PPP. I would presume if you are in the Asia, then that location would make sense. If you are in Europe then you may be able to request the East coast as that would be less costly to move you to.

You can also apply to positions in USAJOBS throughout the next year (as you approach your 3 year mark) for any position you are interested in (& qualified for) from this point on. Your release to the new position (if you land an offer) will be negotiated between the two HR offices. Add in the needs for the PCS aspects to be worked out, that can take a few months...which could take you to the 3 year mark any way. And, you can apply for the next grade up if you have 52 weeks time in grade as well.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
0018 Hopeful  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 1:11:30 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 48 post(s)
6-8 months before your 36 months

That is what I did. I ended up having to leave 4 months early, but no one got upset over it.
FatHappyCat  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 3:09:02 PM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Depending on your career field 12 months out is a reasonable timeframe to start your search. Given that you'll be required to enroll in PPP 6 months out, you can be picked up at anytime and then be stuck with a crap decision; decline PPP and resign when your 3 year come up or accept PPP and end up somewhere where you may not want to be. (yuma, white sands, china lake, 29 palms, etc)

Generally the first extension is 'free'. You have to be a real pain in the ass for most command to not extend you. Try to get that locked in and then start looking for a way home. I've never seen a command refuse a tour curtailment except for people trying to jump ship before 12 months. I signed a 2 year extension and was out of there after 6 months.
0018 Hopeful  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:43:47 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Enrolling in PPP for Kaiserslautern based Army folks takes about all of a 3 second phone call.

Ring ring, ring ring.

"Hey this is Claudia from CPAC, are you taking your return rights or do you want to go on PPP?"

There is a rule somewhere if you are promoted in the move overseas that they have to give you until the end of the tour to decide on your return rights.

I wanted to be a GS-13, got to Europe as a GS-11 and left as a GS-12 temp promoted to GS-13.

So I got to apply for jobs and then if I didn't get anything at the end of the 36 months I could take my return rights.

I didn't want to go back to California as an 11.

So they let me apply be on PPP, and I never had to turn anything down as I got hired by a 3rd job before the end of the 36 months.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed