Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tee  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 8:01:54 AM(UTC)
tee

Groups: Registered
United States

My promotion at my current job somewhat coincides with my EOD at my new agency (same department but different agencies). I have been promoted to a GS 13 one pay period before my new job EOD. New agency HR says because I didn’t meet time in grade at the time of my application some months ago, I cannot be on boarded as a GS 13. I understand this but the job is the same series under the same department, so I thought I could be a lateral transfer. HR refuses to engage in this idea and simply says I cannot be a GS13 because I wasn’t when I applied/ didn’t have time in grade. Is there anything I can do about this? Delaying EOD isn’t really an option since HR said that has no impact on time in grade requirements. New HR says the best they can do is GS12 step 4 and I have to self advocate for a promotion myself with my new supervisor once I onboard. And the issue isn’t related to specialized experience or other qualifications. I also have FPL to GS 14 in my current position but leaving to pursue things I’m more interested in. Any help really appreciated.
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 9:59:45 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 272 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tee Go to Quoted Post
My promotion at my current job somewhat coincides with my EOD at my new agency (same department but different agencies). I have been promoted to a GS 13 one pay period before my new job EOD. New agency HR says because I didn’t meet time in grade at the time of my application some months ago, I cannot be on boarded as a GS 13. I understand this but the job is the same series under the same department, so I thought I could be a lateral transfer. HR refuses to engage in this idea and simply says I cannot be a GS13 because I wasn’t when I applied/ didn’t have time in grade. Is there anything I can do about this? Delaying EOD isn’t really an option since HR said that has no impact on time in grade requirements. New HR says the best they can do is GS12 step 4 and I have to self advocate for a promotion myself with my new supervisor once I onboard. And the issue isn’t related to specialized experience or other qualifications. I also have FPL to GS 14 in my current position but leaving to pursue things I’m more interested in. Any help really appreciated.

What is the FPL of the new position? What grade(s) was it announced for?
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
tee  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 10:42:11 AM(UTC)
tee

United States

FPL is 13 announced as a 12/13.
FS0201  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 11:06:31 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 272 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tee Go to Quoted Post
FPL is 13 announced as a 12/13.

You applied as a 12, and likely noted in your application that you would accept a 12. They offered the same (and could have offered a 12 even if you had already been a 13, depending on the list). There is no obligation that they offer you a 13, and a strict look at the process would agree that they shouldn’t (since you were not eligible for a 13 at time of application).

You could rescind your acceptance, stay where you are, and get the 14 in a year or so. Maybe the new office will re-announce in the meantime, and you could reapply. Rescinding acceptance could also allow them to consider the position from a different line, and offer you the position at 13 non-competitively, outside of the application process.

Edited by user Friday, September 3, 2021 5:02:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
someoldguy on 9/3/2021(UTC)
tee  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 3:16:09 PM(UTC)
tee

United States

Thanks for your time and response. Hoping to move and not stay in my current position because I am really ready for a change and the new position feels like a really good fit and opportunity - aside from HR difficulties.
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 4:03:12 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 844 post(s)
Is a 12/4 any increase from where you are now... or at least where you were before getting the 13?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
tee  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 7:30:54 PM(UTC)
tee

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Is a 12/4 any increase from where you are now... or at least where you were before getting the 13?

I’m a 13 step 1 now so 12/4 is a decrease for me now. I was a 12/1 before so it’s an increase from that but given where I’m now, it’s a demotion. I believe I was given the 12/4 because some agencies have a regulation against rapid pay increase and if I were to be promoted by my new supervisor, they wouldn’t want me jumping to a higher step within GS 13 so quickly. I’d need a 12/7 to match my salary now and then if I got promoted to get my 13 back, because of the two step rule I’d need to be a 13/3. So I think they’re trying to prevent that quick and significant escalation. Promotion with the two step rule at a 12/4 would put me back to 13/1 - where I am now.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed