Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
llomackmd2021  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 6:17:36 PM(UTC)
llomackmd2021

Groups: Registered
United States

Sharing a weird experience with our great Federal Government and kindly asking for opinions and thoughts (prayers also welcome):

I've been with my current Agency (VA) for a little over a year now. Just a couple of months after I started my current role (where I'm doing really great), I received an unsolicited email from someone at CBP stating that:

1. They found my resume online.
2. Told me they had a Direct Hire position available, and
3. Asked me if I'd be interested in the position.

I said "sure," and they extended a TJO contingent upon a favorable adjudication of a BI, SF-85P, Tier 4 (My current position only requires a Tier 1, NACI).

To my surprise, and after months of waiting, I received an email from CBP stating that the TJO "is withdrawn because you have been deemed unsuitable for the position under 5 C.F.R. Part 731." Mental Note: "Good thing I didn't resign from my current position with the VA!

Since CBP provided no details (and I can't think of anything significant that would prevent me from passing a Tier 4), I plan to ask for an FIOA from CBP to find out the reason behind their decision.

A few concerns are now lingering in my head:

- Can this "unsuitable" rating from CBP affect my status in my current role?
- Will this "unsuitable" record impact my chances of applying for other positions at the Tier 1 level?
hemihem  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2021 3:13:04 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Short answer: Possible
llomackmd2021  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2021 6:48:03 PM(UTC)
llomackmd2021

United States

@hemihem: In what way you think? should I address this with my current agency?
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 2:19:09 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1005 time(s) in 849 post(s)
Being found "unsuitable" is not the same as being denied a security clearance (or public trust) so the requirement for CBP to share that with other agencies or even other parts of DHS is not as stringent. And I don't think you are required to report this (especially when they didn't give you much to report). However, my concern would be that whatever caused them to deny "suitability" might come up as an issue in the current job. Hopefully your FOIA request will shed some light on the situation.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
llomackmd2021  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 7:15:35 AM(UTC)
llomackmd2021

United States

@someoldguy. There's certainly nothing criminal in my past. Im not perfect and made my mistakes in the past, but certainly no criminal activity, drug use, no financial issues, 2 BAs and 1 MBA, 10+ Honorable service, and over 5 years of outstanding federal service. So.....what can possible be out-there that out-weighted all of that is beyond me.

The worst part of is is that I am being considered, and pretty confident I'd be offer another position (more pay, still with the Federal Government) that also required a Tier 1 (NACI).

Now Im really thinking if I should just stay put or take my chances.

Thoughts? Thanks for letting pick your brain.
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:11:27 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1005 time(s) in 849 post(s)
Well there are financial issues and there are financial issues. Stuff that may not affect your credit score can be held against you. I think if this were the case, the investigator would have discussed it with you and asked for more info.

Again, since this is a "suitability" issue you may not have the same appeal rights as when a person is denied a security clearance/public trust... I think that's why they like to call it a suitability denial. And the FOIA request may take a while to sort out.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
llomackmd2021  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:24:06 PM(UTC)
llomackmd2021

United States

Thanks! Definitely going to keep an eye on that. It is just mind-blowing. In the end, I don't really care about getting the job, but do care about how that can affect my current role and even future opportunities.

Funny you say this "suitability issue you may not have the same appeal rights" because I even expected to say something along the lines of "if you don't agree with the decision go ahead and write here or there" but not. Seemed like a pretty much a done deal and I just don't know what to make of it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed