Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CuriousPro92  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2021 12:26:52 PM(UTC)
CuriousPro92

Groups: Registered
United States

I accepted a job offer over the phone nearly a week ago, but have yet to receive the official tentative offer. I inquired with the hiring manager, who thanked me for my continued patience as they don't know why the process seems delayed. Just wondering if anyone else may have an idea - maybe someone in HR?

If I'm already in the agency, do I still get a tentative offer? How does the process work if I'm already with the agency? Would the process be easier/quicker?

Thank you.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2021 2:46:23 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 350 time(s) in 303 post(s)
I was new to Government, and expected to drive cross-country with no letter. When I said something to the H.R lady in Washington, her exact words were, "what, you don't trust me?"
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 5:47:17 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 90 post(s)
I am in the process of changing jobs right now. It took about a month from the verbal offer to the TO. Be patient, but keep in touch with HR to make sure it doesn’t fall off of their radar.
FAct_88  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 10:27:57 AM(UTC)
FAct_88

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The Hiring Manager selects the best candidate from the cert, then hands it off to HR for further processing. This may include a security clearance etc. Your official offer letter will come from HR.

While it's rare, things can go wrong between the Hiring Manager's selection and the actual offer. In my agency, Hiring Managers (Hiring Officials in our case) are told to NEVER tell applicants anything post interview...just that they will be hearing from HR if they were selected, and won't hear anything at all if not. I suppose if a Hiring Official knew for a fact the number one applicant was on the verge of accepting a competing job, it might be worthwhile to let them know they were selected. But the Hirign Official never has final say...Agency HR does.
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 11:23:02 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 844 post(s)
Federal Soup Rule #2: You don't have the job until you are sitting at your new desk (up until that point, EVERYTHING is "tentative")

(Rule #1: Apply. Forget. Repeat.)

Edited by user Thursday, September 16, 2021 11:23:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
0018 Hopeful  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2021 5:06:24 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 48 post(s)
You should not trust her, I moved to Alaska for a GSA job only to have them push back the hire date 5 months.

That was a financial disaster for us.
GSBS  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2021 10:07:48 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 350 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
You should not trust her, I moved to Alaska for a GSA job only to have them push back the hire date 5 months.

That was a financial disaster for us.
I didn't trust her and said I would not leave until she overnighted the offer, she overnighted the offer. What I didn't know is I got the position I applied for, but the Job title had been transposed & it was now a lower paying GS position. Actually both positions would pay the same except one would take 30 years to reach the top, one took 5 years.

Bart  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 8:17:29 AM(UTC)
Bart

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I think that's one of the reasons why the federal government loses very good candidates. I have seen it over the years. Anyone applying must know that the process in the government is VERY slow for the most part. I have heard of so many variations of the application and offer process, from COE to low balling after the offer knowing full well what the applicant salary was during the interview (within that pay scale).

In the intelligence agencies, the process can be very long due to the checks and balances (not that they couldn't speed things up a bit since they can but they never invested in developing a proper and more efficient system.

- I have seen candidates falling within the payscale getting the bare minimum and not wanting to budge more despite being a very good candidate. Candidate ended up not accepting the low offer and went on to apply for another agency and got hired very quickly on a higher payscale (similar position)
- I have seen candidates just fade away even after COE as they waited 24 + months and ended up getting better job opportunities
- Candidates that tried to negotiate a higher salary; I'm talking an increase of $5000 and being told no (really silly ones)
- Good ol politics pushing good candidate out

Never leave your job until you are cleared that you have a solid offer of employment. Make sure you check in with them; govt HR don't really (for the most part) keep in touch or have the best "bedside manners". They think that everyone wants to come in the govt so they don't pursue candidates and feel like they have the upper hand. All these are what i have seen over the many years.

However you do have the unicorns of HR personnel who are really good and cheer for you. One of the person I dealt with even helped me prepare for the interview several years ago.

Lesson here is, live your life and look after yourself and your career and make decisions accordingly. Federal jobs is just another job that you will have to deal with WAY more drama and broken processes that would drive you crazy. Don't appear desperate; know your worth. They want you, hope they make the right decision to pursue you.

My 2 cents.

Edited by user Saturday, September 25, 2021 4:35:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed