Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OldIPA  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 11:14:25 AM(UTC)
OldIPA

Groups: Registered
United States

So I applied the SSDI, in lieu with my opm D.R. The SSA denied my application so fast in two weeks they didn’t even afford me the chance to present any medical evidence. So in the SSDI denial letter, they stated my application was denied based on my income.

Will this hinder my chance getting my opm D.R approved?

Thank y’all for replying.

Old fart IPA
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 12:26:28 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 350 time(s) in 303 post(s)
All you need is the receipt you applied for SSDI. You can always appeal this decision
GRITS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 1:15:18 PM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

In the end everything comes back to income. I worked for a income based program and hear thousands of stories but in the end you have to pass the income test first before anything else to be considered and that's it. All roads lead back to your current income. Remember you still always have the right to appeal any adverse decisions.
OneQualityGal  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 9:52:08 AM(UTC)
OneQualityGal

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you are still working, you are likely earning over SGA (substantial gainful activity). That is a automatic denial from SSA. It will not affect the OPM decision because the rules of the programs are different. OPM does require an SSA filing, so you have fulfilled that requirement regardless of the SSA determination.

If you get approved by OPM and/or stop working, you should re-apply for SSDI.
icanzz  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 8:59:08 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I worked for SSA.

When applying for SSDI the first question is: 1. When was last time you worked or when did the condition cause you to stop working? If your answer is "I am currently working" regardless of how much you make...the answer is "Denied".

The reason is that you must prove that you are unable to do any type of work, that is IMPOSSIBLE to do, if you are still working Think about it.

You can "but what if" "but what if" all day long and you can have doctors notes saying you "should not be working" but refer back to question 1. When was the last time you worked or when did the condition cause you to stop working. Period.

Most common response..but I can't afford to stop working while I apply.

NOW if not working and approved SSDI...you can sign up for program to try and go back to work for a specified amount of time and keep your SSDI if you meet certain requirements and keep SSA informed...but thats another post for a later time.

Call 1 (800) 772-1213 and someone will be happy to explain it. I recommend calling and do the "call back" option so you don't have to sit on hold.

Edited by user Thursday, September 16, 2021 9:04:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OldIPA  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2021 9:03:39 PM(UTC)
OldIPA

United States

Sounds like a plan. Thank y'all for all the inputs, and hope y'all the best in your D.R journeys.

Old Fart IPA
OldIPA  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2021 7:49:46 AM(UTC)
OldIPA

United States

Does anyone know if age factor plays a vital role during SSDI process?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed