Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bulls1077  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 12:33:43 PM(UTC)
bulls1077

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/1/2016(UTC)
Posts: 71

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I am currently completing everything for a position at the Pentagon. I am a current fed and it's a promotion. I got a TO a few weeks ago. They already said my clearance was good and basically just waiting on PCS. I am currently in the "reviewed for quality control and is currently pending Authentication and funding" and had to sign a 48 month transportation agreement. I have another position that I may get a TO for soon that I would rather take and wanted to know if it's possible at this point and what the repercussions would be at this point to decline before or at the time a firm offer is given? Is it too late once the orders are issued? I obviously wouldn't do anything until I get more word from the other position, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this or has any information.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 3:06:31 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,896

Thanks: 107 times
Was thanked: 1161 time(s) in 928 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bulls1077 Go to Quoted Post
I am currently completing everything for a position at the Pentagon. I am a current fed and it's a promotion. I got a TO a few weeks ago. They already said my clearance was good and basically just waiting on PCS. I am currently in the "reviewed for quality control and is currently pending Authentication and funding" and had to sign a 48 month transportation agreement. I have another position that I may get a TO for soon that I would rather take and wanted to know if it's possible at this point and what the repercussions would be at this point to decline before or at the time a firm offer is given? Is it too late once the orders are issued? I obviously wouldn't do anything until I get more word from the other position, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this or has any information.
Until you EOD, you can withdraw from consideration. Things get a little trickier if you have used the PCS orders in some way, in that you will be required to reimburse Uncle Sam for the money spent on your move.

Also, until you have a firm offer and an EOD, accept all TOs you are interested in (and even then...until you start, you can keep accepting TOs). The one with DoD could get cancelled or another better position could make an offer with less hoops to jump through, etc.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
bulls1077  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 3:57:19 AM(UTC)
bulls1077

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/1/2016(UTC)
Posts: 71

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure if I was bound in some way prior to EOD. I was approved for a house hunting trip but if I did back out it would be prior to that or using the orders in some way. I likely won't but I wanted to see if there are repricussions.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 4:20:06 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2013(UTC)
Posts: 4,460

Thanks: 331 times
Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 844 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Also, until you have a firm offer and an EOD, accept all TOs you are interested in (and even then...until you start, you can keep accepting TOs).
Just as an historical example, a couple years ago all PCS moves were frozen (I think) as part of the budget hystrionics and I think it took longer to unfreeze PCS moves than to unfreeze hiring in general.

So... what frankgonzalez said.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
bulls1077  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 4:26:40 AM(UTC)
bulls1077

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/1/2016(UTC)
Posts: 71

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yeah, my estimated EOD is in October, so I could see that being a possibility with budgetary issues.
FatHappyCat  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 6:37:25 AM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 905

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bulls1077 Go to Quoted Post
I am currently completing everything for a position at the Pentagon. I am a current fed and it's a promotion. I got a TO a few weeks ago. They already said my clearance was good and basically just waiting on PCS. I am currently in the "reviewed for quality control and is currently pending Authentication and funding" and had to sign a 48 month transportation agreement. I have another position that I may get a TO for soon that I would rather take and wanted to know if it's possible at this point and what the repercussions would be at this point to decline before or at the time a firm offer is given? Is it too late once the orders are issued? I obviously wouldn't do anything until I get more word from the other position, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this or has any information.


You can back out of an offer at any time for any reason or no reason at all...

Realistically with PCSes, the decision point you really have to make is the day household goods get picked up. Everything before that, you may be on the hook for $$$ such as the house hunting or stays at temporary lodging; really not a big deal. Once they pack your house, then it's game over. What they're not going to do, if you change your mind, is reroute all the stuff back and put everything back to where it was. It's going to go to DC and then you're going to have to figure out a way to get it back to wherever it needs to go. You'll have to pay for the move and then you may or may not be eligible for another PCS.

So if you decline, do it before you pack out!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.149 seconds.