Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mxshodog  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2021 1:53:32 AM(UTC)
mxshodog

Groups: Registered

I need a subject matter expert familiar with Paid Parental Leave (PPL) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). I'm getting pushback from my supervisor concerning the use of PPL. The supervisor is telling me he has the right to revoke or make me work a couple of hours a week while on PPL. I'm also getting lectured about bonding with our newborn as it is the mother's sole responsibility, not the father's. He also told me that the command is not obligated to give me the full 480 hrs even though I sign a 12-week work obligation. I was also told that he and HR can dictate how many hours of PPL I can use as I am mission essential (ME) to the command. The funny thing about his comment is although I'm not officially ME, he is currently working on getting it changed. I believe that everything he is doing is illegal as he is violating my rights according to FMLA regulations. Does anyone know if this is correct and what options do I have? Should I file an EEO complaint or report this to a higher authority. I'm really getting frustrated as is my wife and our baby is due in a couple of days.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2021 6:36:23 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1204 time(s) in 963 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mxshodog Go to Quoted Post
I need a subject matter expert familiar with Paid Parental Leave (PPL) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). I'm getting pushback from my supervisor concerning the use of PPL. The supervisor is telling me he has the right to revoke or make me work a couple of hours a week while on PPL. I'm also getting lectured about bonding with our newborn as it is the mother's sole responsibility, not the father's. He also told me that the command is not obligated to give me the full 480 hrs even though I sign a 12-week work obligation. I was also told that he and HR can dictate how many hours of PPL I can use as I am mission essential (ME) to the command. The funny thing about his comment is although I'm not officially ME, he is currently working on getting it changed. I believe that everything he is doing is illegal as he is violating my rights according to FMLA regulations. Does anyone know if this is correct and what options do I have? Should I file an EEO complaint or report this to a higher authority. I'm really getting frustrated as is my wife and our baby is due in a couple of days.
This part in bold is a violation of EEO law, specifically discrimination on the basis of Sex (male). If you have this in writing (like an email from your supervisor), I am pretty certain your agency attorneys (aka JAG if you are in DAF/DA/DoN) would want to resolve and settle this fairly early in the process, as this is pretty damning, per se violation. You can also talk to your 2nd level supervisor about this issue (or the unit commander if that applies).

As the other aspects, I am pretty certain they violation some of the HR rules and regulations, but I'll leave those to the HR gurus here.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
mxshodog on 9/18/2021(UTC)
mxshodog  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2021 4:20:03 PM(UTC)
mxshodog

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
This part in bold is a violation of EEO law, specifically discrimination on the basis of Sex (male). If you have this in writing (like an email from your supervisor), I am pretty certain your agency attorneys (aka JAG if you are in DAF/DA/DoN) would want to resolve and settle this fairly early in the process, as this is pretty damning, per se violation. You can also talk to your 2nd level supervisor about this issue (or the unit commander if that applies).

As the other aspects, I am pretty certain they violation some of the HR rules and regulations, but I'll leave those to the HR gurus here.

Most of our conversations have been verbal. I asked to see the regulations where it says a supervisor can bring an employee in a couple days week while on PPL or any leave but his response is always argumentive. What gets me is others in our command took PPL with no issues. His response is always I'm mission essential although my PD does not designated me as one.
teej  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2021 4:37:04 AM(UTC)
teej

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Out of curiosity, is the supervisor a uniformed member or recently retired military now CIV, or pure CIV?

I ask because my history with the first two always seem to be disconnected with how the real world operates.

Edited by user Sunday, September 19, 2021 4:37:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mxshodog  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2021 12:59:46 PM(UTC)
mxshodog

The individual is retired military but been GS for about 15 years. He never knew about the PPL program until I informed them of my intentions and submitted my paperwork.
teej  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2021 1:11:47 PM(UTC)
teej

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The individual is retired military but been GS for about 15 years. He never knew about the PPL program until I informed them of my intentions and submitted my paperwork.

With 15 years, its disappointing that the PPL that was just recently passed and was made to be quite a big deal, was missed by your supervisor. Hopefully you can help teach and make him/her aware of the process(es).

mxshodog  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2021 2:28:32 PM(UTC)
mxshodog

I tried but I keep getting push back. I even shared a few links to the regulations and how its a part of FMLA. Unfortunately, I may have to file an EEO complaint or talk to my unit commander if he continues to impede or try to limit my PPL entitlement.
Joe Navy84  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2021 6:56:10 AM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First, PPL falls under FMLA. PPL is technically FMLA, except it is paid by the gov. You sign a 12 week contract to continue after use, however the only thing you have to “pay back” is contributions to FEHB the employer makes on your behalf. They CANNOT dictate how you use YOUR benefit. Call EEOC. Call OIG. Call your Senator and Congressperson. I am a former US Army Civilian that worked for a retired USAF 1st Sgt that thought he knew everything and we were still his “troops.” I’m a veteran myself and I let them know I am not active duty, I’m a civilian. They don’t own me. Start shooting off emails to your supervisor and copy HR on them all. And copy your personal email as well. Keep a paper trail. Supervisors hate paper trails. That’s why he has verbal conversations about the issue because he knows what he is doing is wrong.

Best,

Joe Navy
Rss Feed  Atom Feed