Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kit Lee  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 9:52:08 AM(UTC)
Kit Lee

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi everyone first post!

So I've read many posts about people coming into federal job for the first time and negotiating their salary to get step increase to match their current salary from the job that they're leaving.

Hypothetical Example:
Current non-fed job pays 60k and they're offered fed job GS-9 step 1 which pays 50k, so they negotiate to come in at GS-9 step 4 to get 60k

But how does it work if you currently make 40k but the cost of living where the fed job offered is 50% higher (salary would be need to 60k to maintain current standard of living).

Could you use this as a basis that you need step 4 to maintain your current standard of living even though GS-9 step 1, on paper, pays more than your current job?
GRITS  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 10:42:33 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It is very rare for negotiation to take place in order to maintain the current standard of living, especially in the lower GS levels; this could happen more frequently for GS 14 and 15. It is like most places that are hiring professional level personnel unless what you do is very specialized they may have 50+ eligible candidates for the same job who will take the entry pay. I was told by HR that some personnel may be offered such increases if there is a critical need and or the job is in a location that is hard to recruit for. If you are going to an agency that gives the yearly increases, it will not be long before you have reached your current pay and along with if the president/congress see fit for Feds to get a cost of living increase for the next couple of years.
Kit Lee  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 6:06:30 PM(UTC)
Kit Lee

United States

Thanks! Yeah I figured it might not be worth trying to push for since it'll most likely delay the process or worse, rescind an offer. I interviewed for a GS-11 with GS-13 promotion potential. Interview went well I think so fingers crossed.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 3:03:07 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kit Lee Go to Quoted Post
Thanks! Yeah I figured it might not be worth trying to push for since it'll most likely delay the process or worse, rescind an offer. I interviewed for a GS-11 with GS-13 promotion potential. Interview went well I think so fingers crossed.
And remember there is locality pay for the higher cost of living locations, and if you have a ladder position, you could be a 13 in 2 years from the time you start, which is a significant increase from the GS11.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed