Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tic32003  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 7:24:38 AM(UTC)
tic32003

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
If I'm working remotely in one state, but my place of employment is in another, what are the tax implications of that? Would I pay taxes in both states?

For example, let's say I'm hired for a job in Washington, DC but will live and work remotely from Alabama. Will I have to file income taxes in both Washington, DC and Alabama?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 7:46:25 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tic32003 Go to Quoted Post
If I'm working remotely in one state, but my place of employment is in another, what are the tax implications of that? Would I pay taxes in both states?

For example, let's say I'm hired for a job in Washington, DC but will live and work remotely from Alabama. Will I have to file income taxes in both Washington, DC and Alabama?
Your locality pay will be based on where you work (AL), and so that is where the Taxes are paid. If you live in Louisiana, but work in Mississippi, then you may have to file in both states unless they have an agreement between them (for example: DC, VA and MD have an agreement that you pay taxes in the location you live, not where you work as federal employees who work in DC are likely to live in VA or MD and vice versa with the sheer number of federal agencies in the DMV region).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
GRITS  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 1:22:59 PM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If both states collect income taxes and don't have a reciprocity (an agreement between two states that allows residents of one state to request exemption from tax withholding in the other state) agreement, you'll have to pay taxes on your earnings in both states. In your instance of your example, you will only file for the state of (AL) because you are working and physically residing in that state.
tic32003  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 7:42:22 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks, y'all!
BackGdInvestigator  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2021 6:26:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 88 post(s)
My two cents.
To clarify - your employer is in Washington DC, but you telework and live in Alabama? If the COVID rules were not in place, would you still be in Alabama?

I have been a "remote" worker for a couple decades. The office I am assigned has always been in another state, the "HQ" is in MD. My locality pay is based on my home address (duty location) and I pay taxes to my resident state (not MD or my field office state).

If you are temporarily a remote worker, then your taxes are based on your permanent residence, just as your locality pay is based on your permanent office location.

Edited by user Sunday, November 14, 2021 6:27:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: grammar

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
djp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2021 8:43:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tic32003 Go to Quoted Post

How is your job listed?

If you were going to work then post pandemic you work from home you could have a pay change where your county of residence is not in locality pay area you could see a pay cut.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed