Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RioBravo  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 1:43:35 PM(UTC)
RioBravo

Groups: Registered
United States

Here’s my situation:

I was a prior AF officer, separated as a Captain (O-3) and spent 2 years on the private side (where my salary was that of GS-12/Step 10 or lower/mid-level GS-13).

I recently was hired as a GS-12, in a section that I used to be in charge of (along with a civilian GS-13, whom I actually hired) when I was in uniform. That GS-13 position is now being advertised and I want to apply. Logic tells me that I am qualified because

1) I used to be in charge of the section during my officer time, running it along with my GS-13 counterpart;
2) I was hired as a GS-12/Step 5, which indicates to me that I have a certain level of experience at a GS-12 level (i.e. more than 1 year);
3) My pay grade/responsibility level during my private sector time equates to that of a GS-13;

I really want this job, as I think I am well qualified. However, I am nervous that HR will disqualify me because I am currently a GS-12 with <52 weeks. How can I navigate this to make sure I make the cert list? I feel confident that if I can make the list, that I have a good shot at the job. Again, I’m just nervous HR will look at my current time in federal service and throw out my application.

Any advice is appreciated!
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 1:54:02 PM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 124 post(s)
It depends on how the position is advertised. If it's listed as federal-only position - dark blue circle with the little courthouse - then it's bound by the 52 week rule. If it's open to all - teal with people - or other that you may qualify for such as vet - green with a shield - then you should be good to go.
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 2:08:32 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 264 time(s) in 226 post(s)
The way I understand it, and I may be wrong, is that you qualify to apply to vacancies that are listed as being for current fed employees regardless of your time in the fed gov't.

You cannot use your current position to qualify though. Your qualification would be from your military service, being a currect fed just gets the door open.

I can't offer any advice on how to make sure you get on the cert list but my advice is always to apply and let them decide if you are qualified.

Best wishes.
Citrine  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 11:28:00 PM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
it might matter if it is "direct hire".
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 3:55:51 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
When you apply, make certain you list ALL hiring authorities you believe you qualify for (while you may be a current fed, you also qualify under VEOA, etc). However, you may find they will not consider your military grade as being equivalent to a GS13 level of work (depends on how good your resume is written...I was given credit as a TSgt for GS11 & 12 level work, but then again, my peers at other bases were SNCOs and CGOs and I articulated the higher graded level work I was doing...YMMV). That said, your post-mil private sector experience may be good for this application. Again, depends on whether you are GS or DCIPS, etc (different TIG rules come into play based on what pay system you are in), etc.

Remember, civil service grades are not like military grades when it comes to the work being done. I filled a position that was held by a Capt as a TSgt when he PCSed and the MSgt retired a month later. The AF then downgraded the position to SMSgt..and I remained in it until I retired a couple of years later. My last base had a SFS commander (Maj) relieved of command (he did something VERY stupid for this to occur!) and the Squadron Superintendent filled in for about 4 months until a new commander came in (the poor SMSgt learned he NEVER wants to be a commander again!), with a unit that was predominately GS (he was the senior military member until a new commander arrived).

And so on...so if you can capture the higher level work in your resume, then you stand a chance. Otherwise, you may need to wait the 52 weeks out.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed