Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HoorahXXX  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 1:24:18 PM(UTC)
HoorahXXX

Groups: Registered
United States

Sadly my wife crossed over in July after 54 yrs plus together. I’m a basket case over losing her.

I-notified Retirement Services on 7/27 and they had the paperwork on 8/3. I was told it took 6-8 weeks. After that period expired I was told it takes3 months…so I’m hoping in a couple weeks.
Not only should my annuity go up, my FEHB should drop to single Vice Self Plus One. And they are still withholding my OPTION C FEGHLI. ( Still no check from METLIFE for the 10K which I totally owe the Funeral Home.)

Anyone with history? How long? Boyers has always been exceptional but if not by November what do I do? Keep calling them? Or seek help from my Congressional folks..?
Raoul  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 7:30:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Sorry for your loss, 54 years of marriage is a joy few ever see.

When I retired ten years ago I was told this situation could take eight months to resolve. Glad to hear it may be down to three to six months.
Did the paperwork you submitted include a life insurance change form eliminating Option C?
Also it is a separate ask to change health insurance to Self Only as a 'Life Event'.
I ask this because your post says "should drop"
If these changes were included in the July notification, then all funds will be retroactively returned to you as of the date on the Death certificate.

You will also want to look at new beneficiary changes regarding yourself.
You can still file Married Joint for 2021 and Qualifying Widower for the next two years, Federal.
(I don't know New York State law.)

Surprised the funeral home didn't work directly with MetLife if that is where the funds go. They should really have taken that off your plate.

kindest regards,
Raoul
Retired July 2011
Rss Feed  Atom Feed