Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
recent_grad  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 3:43:47 AM(UTC)
recent_grad

Groups: Registered

I was previously in a gs 7/9/11/12 ladder position in where in the final stage I was converted to an NH03 in Jan 2021 ( pay band that covers gs12/13). I was referred, interviewed, and was informed that I was selected as the final candidate for a Gs13 position by the hiring official. Now the agency's HR is claiming that I should have never been eligible? The claim is that i fall short of the 12 months at gs12 rating, i have been an nh03 for approx 9 months. My argument is that because NH03 covers all the way to gs13 so I do meet the qualification requirements because i am currently performing at grade, furthermore given the onboarding time ( approx 6 to 9 mo.) it should be a non-issue.

details:
1) DOD civilian position ( Army to Navy )
2) position was open to public

Thoughts?

Edited by user Tuesday, October 26, 2021 4:26:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 5:14:23 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 269 time(s) in 230 post(s)
I'm afraid I can't offer much hope. I hate it when HR let's things like this happen. Your application should never have been forwarded to the hiring panel.

Even if you'd served as a GS13 for 9 months it wouldn't count.

The time in grade is as of the closing of the announcement, not your status as of EOD. You did not have 12 months at the closing.

The only slim chance you have is if you can prove sufficient relevant experience in the civilian sector that will give you the 12 months.
FatHappyCat  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:03:14 AM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 126 post(s)
If the position was open to the public, does TIG matter at all?

Was this position separately as fed and public? If it did, you need to apply for both to be considered for the proper authority. ie - if you didn't apply to the one that was open to the public, you won't be considered even if the fed-only listing was identical and you were referred.
recent_grad  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:19:14 AM(UTC)
recent_grad

This position was only listed on USAJOBS as open to the public.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:19:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GRITS  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 1:54:55 PM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: recent_grad Go to Quoted Post
I was previously in a gs 7/9/11/12 ladder position in where in the final stage I was converted to an NH03 in Jan 2021 ( pay band that covers gs12/13). I was referred, interviewed, and was informed that I was selected as the final candidate for a Gs13 position by the hiring official. Now the agency's HR is claiming that I should have never been eligible? The claim is that i fall short of the 12 months at gs12 rating, i have been an nh03 for approx 9 months. My argument is that because NH03 covers all the way to gs13 so I do meet the qualification requirements because i am currently performing at grade, furthermore given the onboarding time ( approx 6 to 9 mo.) it should be a non-issue.

details:
1) DOD civilian position ( Army to Navy )
2) position was open to public

Thoughts?

Did HR tell you how they are going to rectify this mistake on their end? TIG must be 52 weeks at GS 12 prior to you being selected which should not have been overlooked given it took over half a year for you to onboard. A very unfortunate situation to say the least.
DaVinci95  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:07:15 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
If the position was open to the public, does TIG matter at all?

Was this position separately as fed and public? If it did, you need to apply for both to be considered for the proper authority. ie - if you didn't apply to the one that was open to the public, you won't be considered even if the fed-only listing was identical and you were referred.

The open to public announcements still require 12 months at the equivalent of the lower grade. Unless the OP had that 12 months experience prior to Federal service they would not qualify.
djp  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 7, 2021 9:08:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)
What le eleere you at in the GS series before goversion?

What was your pay in the new series?

If your pay in a non GS pay system is between GS X step 4 and less than a GS Y step 4 you are a GS Y.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed