Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tormund  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2021 4:42:18 PM(UTC)
Tormund

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is for FERS DR. I had under 6 months LWOP each calendar year. I know they pay you back to your last date of pay for backpay/60%. My separation date was months after my last date of pay, and I took LWOP after my last date of pay. Again under 6 months each calendar year.

My question is ton confirm that your High-3 ends on your separation date and started 3 years earlier?
Tormund  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2021 4:31:23 PM(UTC)
Tormund

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hmmm everything I've read has said LWOP under 6 months in a calendar year doesn't affect credible service. I'll be submitting a letter to Boyers and will report back I guess.
RVRGRL  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2021 5:03:18 AM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Found this...fairly recent, but I'm not sure that I'd call it the official answer.

https://www.fedweek.com/...-counts-toward-high-3-2/

"Your high-3 also won’t be affected if you were on leave without pay that didn’t exceed six months in a calendar year when your pay was at its highest. However, any period beyond six months would be treated as if it didn’t exist. As a result, your three years would have to be extended by however long you were on LWOP in excess of six months."

Edited by user Thursday, November 4, 2021 5:05:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2021 5:19:28 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 173 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tormund Go to Quoted Post
Hmmm everything I've read has said LWOP under 6 months in a calendar year doesn't affect credible service. I'll be submitting a letter to Boyers and will report back I guess.

From OPM:

Fact Sheet: Effect of Extended Leave Without Pay (LWOP) (or Other Nonpay Status) on Federal Benefits and Programs

Type of Benefit or Program

Retirement benefits

An aggregate nonpay status of 6 months in any calendar year is creditable service. Coverage continues at no cost to the employee while in a nonpay status. When employees are in a nonpay status for only a portion of a pay period, their retirement deductions are adjusted in proportion to their basic pay (5 U.S.C. 8332 and 8411).

High-3 average salary computations are based on periods of creditable service. Thus, periods of nonpay status of 6 months or less in a calendar year that fall within an employee’s average salary period are included in the calculation of the average salary using the rate of basic pay in effect during the period of nonpay status. For example, if a full-time employee whose annual rate of basic pay is $85,000 per year is placed in nonpay status for 3 months, that 3-month period would be credited in the average salary calculation using the $85,000 basic pay rate. (If the rate of basic pay changed to $86,500 per year after 2 months of the nonpay period, the first 2 months of the nonpay period would be credited in the average salary calculation using the $85,000 basic pay rate and the last month of the nonpay period would be credited in the average salary calculation using the $86,500 basic pay rate.)

https://www.opm.gov/poli...l-benefits-and-programs/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed