Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fedworker26  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2021 6:52:39 PM(UTC)
fedworker26

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi, I searched for this topic but couldn't find a post that described similar circumstances. I'm a GS-13 on step 1. Our group is planning on hiring a GS11/12 in the same discipline as me and I would be assigning and reviewing that person's work. It's a possibility that the new hire will negotiate a salary towards the higher steps in GS12 and may end up getting a salary higher than mine if supervisor determines this person is worth it.
I'm all for having the new hire negotiate as much money as they can. However, it would be a bit demotivating to have more responsibilities for less pay. Would equal pay act apply here (could I request to have my salary increase to match or be higher based on more responsibilities)? Thank you in advance.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2021 3:07:08 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fedworker26 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I searched for this topic but couldn't find a post that described similar circumstances. I'm a GS-13 on step 1. Our group is planning on hiring a GS11/12 in the same discipline as me and I would be assigning and reviewing that person's work. It's a possibility that the new hire will negotiate a salary towards the higher steps in GS12 and may end up getting a salary higher than mine if supervisor determines this person is worth it.
I'm all for having the new hire negotiate as much money as they can. However, it would be a bit demotivating to have more responsibilities for less pay. Would equal pay act apply here (could I request to have my salary increase to match or be higher based on more responsibilities)? Thank you in advance.
Nope...and remember, if they come in at a high step, then the time between steps is longer. You will have step increases annually until step 4 (at which point you will be making more than a GS12 step 10), If they come in at any where below step 10, you will quickly pass them in salary. And they would have to come in at step 7 or higher to get more than you do now. And if they come in as step 7, you will exceed their pay in less than a year, and by the time they get their next step (3 years to go from step 7 to 8), you will be at step 4 (which is more than they can get at any step of GS12)!

While equal pay act does apply, you would have to show that you were hired in exact same circumstances with the similar level of experience, but were offered lower pay than the other person (and you must be of different demographics). As it stands, in 52 weeks as a GS13, you are eligible to apply for GS14 positions as an internal candidate. The GS12 cannot, no matter what step they are.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
fedworker26  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2021 6:30:40 AM(UTC)
fedworker26

United States

Thank you frankgonzalez for your thoughtful response!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed