Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pink2121  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2021 7:36:35 AM(UTC)
pink2121

Groups: Registered

Hi All!

I have been on the periodic rolls for a few years also receiving ssd. My ssd has been offset since I receive workmans comp. This coming February I will be 66 and 2 months and have been advised by SS that my SSD will turn over to regular SS with no offset. I know that my workers comp will now be reduced. Is this done automatically? Can someone who has been through this lend me some advice on how I must proceed

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and or respond

GoHuskers  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2021 9:43:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 109 post(s)
It should be done automatically by SSA with no action needed by you. However, if I were you I would contact SSA immediately to see about applying for regular retirement benefits as of this month. Regular retirement benefits are not subject to WC offset. The amount you could receive might be more than you are getting for SSDI after the offset. Then, when you do reach your full retirement age in February, since you were simultaneously entitled to SSDI and the regular SS retirement, the age reduction on the retirement benefit would be removed and you'll still get the same unreduced amount from February onward.
edalder  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2022 4:50:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 167 post(s)
If you paid into SSA as a Federal employee, then OWCP takes an offset for that part of your SSA retirement benefit that is based upon your Federal service under SSA. It is not the entire SSA benefit as that is based upon earnings reported to SSA by all employers. Many Federal employees will have military service and/or substantial service under SSA in the private sector. If you were in the FERS or CSRS-offset retirement system, then you likely will be affected by this one.

In my experience the process is not that automatic. OWCP has to get a calculation from SSA in order to to compute the offset to its benefits. SSA is not always that quick to respond. No two affected individuals, even if they receive identical gross monthly SSA benefits, will have the same work history with the Federal government. Therefore, the offsets will be different.

Down the line you probably will receive a letter from OWCP explaining the reduction in OWCP benefits and also explaining that you have been overpaid. You will have options with respect to the overpayment.

Unfortunately, I cannot really give you good info on how much the offset would be. SSA benefits are based upon 35 years of covered earnings. If you had thirty years of service with the Federal government and it was all in FERS, and only five or so years elsewhere, the offset could be as high as 75% to 80% of your gross SSA benefit. Conversely, if you had a long career in the private sector and only five or so years with the Feds, the offset could be only 10% or 15% of your gross monthly SSA retirement benefit. Most people, however, are going to somewhere n the middle of these two extremes.

If the offset is really steep, consider whether it would be financially better for you to elect OPM retirement benefits over OWCP benefits. This one can be complicated as OWCP benefits are tax free whereas OPM benefits will be taxed.

Good luck with all of this.
Kivi
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Stephan on 7/26/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed