Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
waywardson  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 9:55:07 AM(UTC)
waywardson

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Very frustrated with my situation - Hoping someone here knew of a solution.

I'm on DR retirement w/ FEHB. Wife changed jobs in August, losing her health insurance. On August 6, I sent in the correct form via fax to the OPM number given to me (I verified it was the correct #, and got confirmation they received it) adding wife & child to my policy. Had not heard anything since then. Early September, after days of trying I finally got someone on the phone who said "It takes 60-90 days to process, if you haven't heard back from us call back". Of course, nobody at OPM will answer the phone now (standard higher-than-usual call volume, and to call back). Three emails sent thru their automated system Sep 15th, September 25th, and November 1st. No response.

Meanwhile, wife and child have no proof of insurance. By some miracle (assuming they haven't lost it) and they finally process it - I'm certain I'll be charged retroactively for the coverage even though wife and child can't go to the Dr. or make appointments while waiting. If they say 'we don't have it... please re-submit' I'm back to square one waiting another 60-90 days. Open season starts today, but doesn't take effect until Jan 2022.

At this point I feel like my only option is to call my Congressman? Does anyone happen to have a 'secret phone number' for FEHB changes? Wishful thinking, but I know it exists :)

Open to suggestions at this point, I realize that the entire U.S. Government has been working at a snails pace because of COVID, but it's bordering of ridiculous at this point!
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 10:53:21 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 281 post(s)
I’ve found congressionals to be a waste of time, but they are easy enough to seek.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed