Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
compsciguy  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 1:42:56 PM(UTC)
compsciguy

Groups: Registered

I spent over a decade on active duty in the military. Due to injuries I was medically retired.

I waived DoD retirement pay and opted to receive VA disability instead. I also get something called Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) because my injuries were sustained in combat.

Currently I get VA disability, $60 difference from DoD, and CRSC.

I am now a federal employee (DoD) and have completed the process of buying back my military time towards a FERS retirement and currently pay into it each pay period.

I'm wondering if when the time comes and I accept a FERS retirement, will I lose my CRSC entitlement?

I've called DFAS and spoke to multiple people and no one knows.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 9, 2021 4:05:14 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Originally Posted by: compsciguy Go to Quoted Post
I spent over a decade on active duty in the military. Due to injuries I was medically retired.

I waived DoD retirement pay and opted to receive VA disability instead. I also get something called Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) because my injuries were sustained in combat.

Currently I get VA disability, $60 difference from DoD, and CRSC.

I am now a federal employee (DoD) and have completed the process of buying back my military time towards a FERS retirement and currently pay into it each pay period.

I'm wondering if when the time comes and I accept a FERS retirement, will I lose my CRSC entitlement?

I've called DFAS and spoke to multiple people and no one knows.

I imagine that you will need to coordinate your issues directly with OPM to get any type of final answer to your questions, as your situation is certainly not typical. To receive CRSC, you must be entitled to or actually be receiving military retired pay (among other requirements). At the same time, you generally can't receive credit for any military service in your FERS retirement computation if you are receiving military retired pay. There are exceptions. From OPM:

You cannot receive credit for any military service in your FERS retirement computation, if you are receiving military retired pay, unless you were awarded the retired pay:

* Due to a service-connected disability either incurred in combat with an enemy of the United States or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war, or
* Under the provisions of Chapter 1223, Title 10, U.S.C. (pertaining to retirement from a reserve component of the Armed Forces).

However, you can elect to waive the retired pay and have the military service added to your civilian service in computing your FERS annuity. In addition to waiving your military retired pay you MUST pay a deposit for your post 1956 military deposit prior to separating from your agency in order for it to be creditable in your FERS retirement case.

If you meet one of the exceptions, you may be able to keep your military retirement and use your military time for FERS. Best of luck to you.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed