Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BigBRIrish78  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:21:08 AM(UTC)
BigBRIrish78

Groups: Registered

I'm a Federal Employee GS 11 Step 3 and I recently applied to a position with another agency which was a 11,12 & 13 and I was disqualified because I said I didn't meet the qualifications for a 13.

This is the memo I received from USA Staffing.

You have been automatically rated ineligible by the system because you answered one or more questions stating you do not qualify for this position.

Thank you for your interest in employment with the Department of Homeland
Security.

Series - Position Title: 0340 - Program Manager

Vacancy ID Number: 260508

Announcement Number: IHC-260508-MLW DEU

Date of Availability:

Geographic Availability:

Washington DC Metro Area, DC

Veteran Preference: 0 Points - NV (not adjudicated)

Specialty Code: 001

Specialty Title: PROGRAM MANAGER

Grade: 12

Rating: ISPF

Specialty Code: 001

Specialty Title: PROGRAM MANAGER

Grade: 13

Rating: ISPF

Rating Code Rating Message

ISPF Ineligible - You do not meet the Selective Placement Factor(s).

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL MESSAGE. IT IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED.

For additional information, please refer to the vacancy announcement for this
position.
syk9482  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:34:40 AM(UTC)
syk9482

It doesn't specifically say anything about not qualifying for a GS-13.

quote:
You have been automatically rated ineligible by the system because you answered one or more questions stating you do not qualify for this position.

You can get this message for leaving a required field blank. Or answered Yes to a question that requires a No. That's basically their first line of defense for weeding out 100's of applications without looking at them.
computerscott2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:55:06 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

If a job has a selective placement factor (which this one said it did) and you cannot answer Yes to it then they don't care if you have the rest of the 99% of the qualifications, you didn't have the 1% they needed.
For example, if I needed a JAVA programmer and they had to be able to come in the door writing JAVA code on day one then I could make that my selective factor. I wouldn't care if you could program 80 other languages and have the ability to learn it in one month, you don't have the one I need from the get-go. So if you can't answer yes to the selective placement factor then don't bother applying. You will get kicked out immediately (as you found out). Now if it doesn't have the selective placement factor (SPF), apply and explain your skills. The SPF can be anything from a needed skill to a agency employees to local commuting area, but it will state it on the job application and usually the online application.

Whatever the Selective Placement Factor was for that job you didn't have. Go back and look at the announcement. Always print out the announcement for this very reason.
ChillinOut  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:47:45 AM(UTC)
ChillinOut

The previous post is absolutely correct. If the agency is looking for a Java programmer, and that's the selective placement factor, your application MUST state that you are experienced with Java.

I've noticed several posts on this board that indicate applicants believe every agency has a training program that they can rely on to get them up-to-speed. This is simply not true.
BigBRIrish78  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:31:23 AM(UTC)
BigBRIrish78

Thanks... I read through the application and saw what I answered no on. The thing that bothers me is that was the last question and it said in the question that it needed to be answered.

I love how the government will waste your time in order to give the job someone else.
computerscott2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:59:23 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, just trying to be realistic. Be positive. It takes lots of trial and error before you get in. You will get lots of these until you learn the system. Take each step as a learning process. We are here to help.
ChillinOut  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:39:17 AM(UTC)
ChillinOut

The statement you made that starts with "the thing that bothered me" doesn't provide enough information for us to comment.

If you care to expand on this, I'll try to explain what happened so that you don't waste additional time.
BigBRIrish78  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:34:55 AM(UTC)
BigBRIrish78

its not a big deal... but the last question was given more weight than the other 50 odd questions and by not answering Yes to that question I disqualified myself. I think it's a punk *** thing to do to put that question last. That question should be first so I dont end up wasting my time filling out the other 49 questions. I really hate how the government makes you waste your time answering questions when they have no intention of hiring you and the only reason they make you fill out these stupid applications is for statistical purposes.
tucker515  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:40:26 PM(UTC)
tucker515

I've seen a lot of online assessments and never seen one where the selective placement factor was last. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it is very unusual. Also, the factor should have been included in the vacancy announcement, so you should have some idea that it existed and if you had it.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
ChillinOut  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:38:45 PM(UTC)
ChillinOut

My observation is the same as Tucker's. The selective placement factor is typically very clearly labeled as such in the vacancy announcement.

Most jobs don't have a selective placement factor, but when they do, it's a waste of time to apply if you don't have a solid background in that area.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed