Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning


Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.


To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin62  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2021 5:20:46 AM(UTC)
Martin62

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/6/2013(UTC)
Posts: 24

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is it necessary to cancel one's union membership/dues upon retirement or does this happen automatically?

Thanks!
roger.d  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2021 12:07:07 PM(UTC)
roger.d

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,682
United States
Location: Midwest

Thanks: 150 times
Was thanked: 1089 time(s) in 877 post(s)
I believe it cancels automatically. You would need to authorize your union to deduct dues from your retirement pay.
Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people’s money. --Margaret Thatcher
Martin62  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 4:09:05 AM(UTC)
Martin62

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/6/2013(UTC)
Posts: 24

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
I believe it cancels automatically. You would need to authorize your union to deduct dues from your retirement pay.


Thank you for the answer. The union hasn't been particularly responsive/helpful this year so I can't imagine they'd be any better for retirees.

Tanker1497  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 6:06:27 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/19/2013(UTC)
Posts: 107

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
You don't say which union but they are all very close to the same. Your union will provide with a form to continue to take dues. Its some where around $1.67 a month! Which for those using or ever wanting to use that unions insurance its a good deal. But most people don't seperate from there local because of event's that come free for members throughout the years. Even when leaving the area the new local you move to would be the same. My local has good food every meeting, dinner outings with the union picking up a portion of the nite. Trips, horse racing, two summer picnics with a 5 dollar cover and all you can eat!
Its really a good deal to stay involved or get involved!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
GWPDA on 11/12/2021(UTC)
Martin62  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 10:18:54 AM(UTC)
Martin62

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/6/2013(UTC)
Posts: 24

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tanker1497 Go to Quoted Post
You don't say which union but they are all very close to the same. Your union will provide with a form to continue to take dues. Its some where around $1.67 a month! Which for those using or ever wanting to use that unions insurance its a good deal. But most people don't seperate from there local because of event's that come free for members throughout the years. Even when leaving the area the new local you move to would be the same. My local has good food every meeting, dinner outings with the union picking up a portion of the nite. Trips, horse racing, two summer picnics with a 5 dollar cover and all you can eat!
Its really a good deal to stay involved or get involved!


It's AFGE. Thank you for the good advice. I will consider staying with them after retirement.

old fed  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 12:56:25 PM(UTC)
old fed

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/10/2012(UTC)
Posts: 744

Thanks: 114 times
Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin62 Go to Quoted Post
Is it necessary to cancel one's union membership/dues upon retirement or does this happen automatically?

Thanks!


it should cancel because you are no longer being paid by the agency but by OPM


https://www.afge.org/leaders-activists/retirees/
Martin62  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 3:31:02 PM(UTC)
Martin62

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/6/2013(UTC)
Posts: 24

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Martin62 Go to Quoted Post
Is it necessary to cancel one's union membership/dues upon retirement or does this happen automatically?

Thanks!


it should cancel because you are no longer being paid by the agency but by OPM


https://www.afge.org/leaders-activists/retirees/


Thanks for the info and link!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.309 seconds.