Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daisies mom  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2021 12:28:35 PM(UTC)
Daisies mom

Groups: Registered

I’m navigating my way through the EO process and was wondering if anyone has hired an attorney?if so how much did it cost out of pocket or upfront etc? Before I take the leap of getting in massive debt I was wondering what I should be expecting? I understand every circumstance is different but wanted to get insights on what I need to expect? Did you have to put a large retainer or pay as you go etc. I have started researching lawyers but they all seem good? Are there any I should stay away from? Some better than others? Recommendations? Thanks so much. This would be regarding a discrimination complaint, reprisal, bullying, hostile work environment and nepotism. Thanks
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 4:40:08 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1204 time(s) in 963 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Daisies mom Go to Quoted Post
I’m navigating my way through the EO process and was wondering if anyone has hired an attorney?if so how much did it cost out of pocket or upfront etc? Before I take the leap of getting in massive debt I was wondering what I should be expecting? I understand every circumstance is different but wanted to get insights on what I need to expect? Did you have to put a large retainer or pay as you go etc. I have started researching lawyers but they all seem good? Are there any I should stay away from? Some better than others? Recommendations? Thanks so much. This would be regarding a discrimination complaint, reprisal, bullying, hostile work environment and nepotism. Thanks
Most do require a retainer, but typically these are done in stages (ie Informal complaint, then filing formal through the investigation, request hearing and depositions, then hearing). Expect to need to come up with about $5k (more or less) for the first retainer. However, most good federal law attorneys will provide a free review of your case and let you know the odds of success (no case is a slam-dunk win, as who knows what a judge may rule on any day, and any attorney says a case is should be run away from!) A good attorney can tell you if you have a good case with a solid fact pattern and a good chance of success. They should also tell you if you are fighting an up-hill battle with little to no chance of success.

Gilbert Employment Law (https://www.gelawyer.com/) or Tully Rinckey (https://www.tullylegal.com/) are a couple of the better federal employment law groups out there.

Whatever you do, make certain the lawyer you hire has federal employment law experience. You do not want to be their first case! Federal employment law is a specialized practice and lawyers with state level or private sector experience often show their lack of knowledge when things get complicated. I've mediated cases where a lawyer has shown they know nothing about federal employment law (and when I have looked them up afterwards, find out they specialize in property law, or patent cases or are simply the local lawyer you call for traffic offenses, etc). Not all lawyers are created equal, and you want one who specializes in the area of the law you need a lawyer for! Same reason you don't go to a podiatrist for brain surgery!
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed