Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VAer1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 12:27:59 PM(UTC)
VAer1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
https://www.opm.gov/poli...inning-and-ending-dates/

Above link: deadline for schedule 2021 Use or Lose annual leave is Nov 20, 2021.

What does it mean for deadline? I have some use or lose hours, but not that many left. I have not decided when to take off in December and plan to submit leave request in December. Normally, I submit leave request one week before actually taking leave.

As I was told, if there is Use or lose intended to be restored, then it has been submitted by the deadline then denied by supervisor, then supervisor can submit paperwork for leave restoration.

But for me, I will use up Use-or-lose hours anyway, do I still need to submit leave request before Nov 20 deadline?

Thanks.

Edited by user Thursday, November 18, 2021 12:29:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

old fed  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 1:16:02 PM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VAer1 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/leave-year-beginning-and-ending-dates/

Above link: deadline for schedule 2021 Use or Lose annual leave is Nov 20, 2021.

What does it mean for deadline? I have some use or lose hours, but not that many left. I have not decided when to take off in December and plan to submit leave request in December. Normally, I submit leave request one week before actually taking leave.

As I was told, if there is Use or lose intended to be restored, then it has been submitted by the deadline then denied by supervisor, then supervisor can submit paperwork for leave restoration.

But for me, I will use up Use-or-lose hours anyway, do I still need to submit leave request before Nov 20 deadline?

Thanks.

no. this is only if you're going to want to be considered for restoration

"An agency may consider restoring annual leave that was forfeited due to an exigency of the public business or sickness of the employee only if the annual leave was scheduled in writing before the start of the third biweekly pay period prior to the end of the leave year."
TheRealOrange  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 3:55:39 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 173 post(s)
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/leave-year-beginning-and-ending-dates/

Thanks.

In the situation you describe -- plan to submit leave request in December; normally submit leave request one week before actually taking leave -- the only risk is if something unexpectedly happens that prevents you from using the leave. If that were to occur, then you would not be eligible for restoration of the unused leave. If you are confident that will not happen, then there is no need to submit the leave request before the deadline. Note also that even leave requests submitted prior to the deadline can be altered/changed between you and your supervisor after the deadline if a need arises.
VAer1  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 4:27:40 AM(UTC)
VAer1

United States

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

-- the only risk is if something unexpectedly happens that prevents you from using the leave.

The risk is extremely low(I cannot image it would happen in my lifelong career). Even if it happens, I would let it happen. Not that many use-or-lose hour left before December (every year), it is not huge loss.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 9:21:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1204 time(s) in 963 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

-- the only risk is if something unexpectedly happens that prevents you from using the leave.

The risk is extremely low(I cannot image it would happen in my lifelong career). Even if it happens, I would let it happen. Not that many use-or-lose hour left before December (every year), it is not huge loss.
Well...if they have a furlough that occurs due to hitting the debt ceiling or the CR not getting extended, then you would lose the hours.

Of course, if you talk to your supervisor, and let them know you want to schedule the leave to protect it from use or lose, but may want to shift the request closer to the time when you figure out when you actually want to take the leave...they may work with you.

With my team, I told them all to get their Use or Lose scheduled to protect it in case of a furlough, etc and they can adjust as needed through the end of the year.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
VAer1  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 9:24:21 AM(UTC)
VAer1

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Well...if they have a furlough that occurs due to hitting the debt ceiling or the CR not getting extended, then you would lose the hours.

Well, in this case, it is not on employees' fault, it is very likely that agency will take care of it later (leave restoration). But I decide to schedule my leave before deadline anyway.

Edited by user Friday, November 19, 2021 9:58:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheRealOrange  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 10:25:30 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 173 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

Well, in this case, it is not on employees' fault, it is very likely that agency will take care of it later (leave restoration). But I decide to schedule my leave before deadline anyway.

During the last major government shutdown, OPM specifically indicated that only leave scheduled in writing no later than November 24, 2018 would be restored for furloughed employees. There generally is no downside to scheduling the leave by the deadline.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed