Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 9:48:33 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,981

Thanks: 108 times
Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Charlie B20 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I hope this is allowed to be asked in this category. I can't find any rule, policy or law outlining my concern. I have quite a few disabilities but didn't list them when I was hired years ago. As I get older the ailments progress and I was going to request a reasonable accommodation. If I request a accommodation will I be separated or forced to retire if they feel all my disabilities impact my duties? I had my PCM fill out the form and she listed all my disabilities and symptoms. But I don't have symptoms occurring simultaneously. My performance is fine. I didn't want my boss to start suggesting other accommodations or because I have a physically demanding job, suddenly fire me based off my diagnosis or symptoms. The RA I am requesting is noise cancelling headphones. Can my boss suggest anything else? Or worse do a fitness for duty evaluation? Or will my request be the only accommodation being decided? Any help will be great or if you can point me to the EEOC guidance. Thank you kindly.
Other accommodations can be considered by the supervisor...however, they need to be what you need to do your job. As a result, it is advised to consider what the employee is requesting first.

The law you need to look at is the Rehabilitation Act (as amended by the ADA Amendments Act). An Accommodation should enable you to do your job or access the privileges of your employment (ie a gym or training, etc). Requesting an accommodation is a right, and the process is not complicated. Depending on your agency, the POC may be EEO or in HR (my current and previous agencies the EEO office was the POC).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.036 seconds.