Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

20 Pages«<181920
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AllHailTheDead0  
#381 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2022 4:18:53 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Verbal FO received.

Knew it was coming since the Supervisory SA reached out to say he got some paperwork on me requesting a mentor, but didnt expect it to be today. Glad the wait is finally over.

So how many people either did take a pay cut or are taking a pay cut to move from the private sector into a federal position? I am making a bit more right now hourly but after LEAP pay I would be making about the same when moving to IRS-CI. Feel weird and makes me a bit hesitant but I know I would be making way more in just a few years.
The_accountant  
#382 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2022 6:45:38 PM(UTC)
The_accountant

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
Verbal FO received.

Knew it was coming since the Supervisory SA reached out to say he got some paperwork on me requesting a mentor, but didnt expect it to be today. Glad the wait is finally over.

So how many people either did take a pay cut or are taking a pay cut to move from the private sector into a federal position? I am making a bit more right now hourly but after LEAP pay I would be making about the same when moving to IRS-CI. Feel weird and makes me a bit hesitant but I know I would be making way more in just a few years.

I took a paycut when I went to the bop. It will be better in long run. Pension, benefits retired at 57. All great things
trek123  
#383 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2022 8:06:02 PM(UTC)
trek123

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
Verbal FO received.

I'm a SA with the state and 10 years vested into pension. My biggest issue is giving up my pension because we can attain 90% of highest salary if we stay long enough vs Federal where I'll probably get around 34% of highest salary... not sure if the 5% TSP makes up any or not. Salary wise, both positions are similar.

But that's a problem I'll worry once I get FO.
cmor5150  
#384 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2022 10:45:27 AM(UTC)
cmor5150

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I’m taking a 20k paycut for gl9. Worth it in the long run.
Hmmmm  
#385 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2022 7:48:25 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Lots of new agents will take a pay cut to come over to this job. Some agents will leave before retirement to make a lot more money after some years on the job made possible by their experience in the job so in some sense it can be a wash that way.

The retirement is definitely not up to par with the CALPERS old safety retirement of 3% @50 but we pay far less into the retirement and also get social security (that we also pay into but at least its part of the overall package). My overall comp is a bit more than half what my friend makes in the local PD (think 200s vs 400s, which has long been the best paying in the country from all research I have done). But he has hated his job for the last 7-8 years and is just trying to make it to 50 and punch out with less than 90%. Last I talked to him he said he may only go to 45 and defer for 5 years while he works something else entirely.

If you are giving up a 90% retirement somewhere where at retirement you could only expect to make a small fraction of what you would as a Fed then it's not really a comparison worth making. I say that because where I live a 90% retirement might be based on $200-$270K a year (and higher for management). Giving that up to work as a Special Agent where your retirement is based on topping out at $177K or whatever it is right now is a lot different than 90% of $60-90K a year and still having nearly the same retirement as an 1811.

No question my friend will have a better retirement than me but he hasn't enjoyed the work for years, has been sued multiple times ultimately with nothing sticking, and lives several counties away only staying with family during his work week because he got tired of seeing parolees he has interacted with dropping their kids off at the same schools his kids were going to.

Not enough room here to describe how that work has changed him over the years but I look forward to when he retires and he can start to become the guy he used to be prior to his entry in LE.
thanks 1 user thanked Hmmmm for this useful post.
trek123 on 7/16/2022(UTC)
ncc2610  
#386 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2022 10:40:13 AM(UTC)
ncc2610

United States

Anyone still waiting on an FO. Sent in Med follow up on June 21. No word since. Any suggestions?
Memberthatoneguy  
#387 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2022 12:54:35 PM(UTC)
Memberthatoneguy

United States

Hey y’all, I’m in the 2022 announcement. I just completed my medical exam and blood work on the same day. Besides going back for the TB test and putting the completion date in usastaffing, is there any other things we need to do for the medical portion? Also, is anyone else in here a current IRS employee? I haven’t received anything regarding my fingerprint and background. Just seeing if anyone else had the same, or if they told you you didn’t have to complete it.
drew93  
#388 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2022 2:38:50 PM(UTC)
drew93

United States

Originally Posted by: ncc2610 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone still waiting on an FO. Sent in Med follow up on June 21. No word since. Any suggestions?

I’m still waiting too on follow-ups. I submitted all my paperwork 6/26/22. I emailed and called CHS but have not received any callbacks or email confirmation that they received anything. I noticed that others had reached out to CHS but when I call it goes straight to voicemail. Any tips on getting through to someone who can help?
1811South  
#389 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2022 4:50:38 PM(UTC)
1811South

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, hope this helps some that are still waiting.

07/01 - Dr submitted follow up paperwork
07/08 - Called CHS to 800 number in the email they sent with the Medial Appointment Confirmation. They confirmed they processed the follow up and sent it to the IRS.
07/26 - Verbal FO, 2 days later email FO
08/29 - Start
09/27 - FLETC
thanks 1 user thanked 1811South for this useful post.
drew93 on 8/11/2022(UTC)
cmor5150  
#390 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2022 7:00:46 PM(UTC)
cmor5150

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Anyone else going to fletc on September 27th?
AllHailTheDead0  
#391 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2022 9:26:41 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmor5150 Go to Quoted Post

Guessing that will be my FLETC date also. Originally had 8/15 start date and 8/26 FLETC date, but they took forever to give me the paper offer after the verbal offer and I wouldn't have had time to give a two weeks notice to my current job. Ended up pushing it back for a 8/29 start date and was hoping for mid September FLETC date.
drew93  
#392 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 9:12:19 AM(UTC)
drew93

United States

Originally Posted by: 1811South Go to Quoted Post
Hi, hope this helps some that are still waiting.

07/01 - Dr submitted follow up paperwork
07/08 - Called CHS to 800 number in the email they sent with the Medial Appointment Confirmation. They confirmed they processed the follow up and sent it to the IRS.
07/26 - Verbal FO, 2 days later email FO
08/29 - Start
09/27 - FLETC

Thanks for the input! I was able to get ahold of CHS yesterday and they said my determination had been sent over to the IRS. They couldn’t give me an exact date. So now we wait and see if I get a call! I’m still taking no news as good news.
Aaron  
#393 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2022 12:13:02 PM(UTC)
Aaron

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmor5150 Go to Quoted Post

My start date for FLETC is 9/27
Rss Feed  Atom Feed