Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Reinvented  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2021 10:20:53 AM(UTC)
Reinvented

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Hello Everyone,

I applied and was referred to the VSR & VSR (Rating) positions that closed on 09/27/2021. I was referred to the external candidates certificates.

Does anyone know how the Direct Hire Authority works?

Thanks
Joe Navy84  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 9:57:14 AM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yeah. I was hired under DHA for VA. One day you’ll get an email that says congrats! And you’ll take the job. Then you’ll wish you never did. The VA is poorly run. Especially VBA. Take it from me, I resigned it was that bad.
XFed77  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 1:28:05 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Thanks for your comment.

Was it this year, and for these same positions? Where you referred and then have an interview or were you hired after you were referred without interview? I was referred for the highest grade on both positions as an external hire and was wondering if they interview for these positions (I know of 2 friends who were not but don't know if they are the exception) and if you are referred means they are fully considering you. Thanks
Joe Navy84  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 2:55:42 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

It was this year. The DHA was due to COVID hiring. It was not for VSR or RVSR, but nonetheless at the VARO. I was referred to a hiring manager, then two weeks after referral I was sent a tentative offer, was vetted, and offer the position and given my EOD and paperwork.

Referrals mean little to nothing. Plus, just because you are referred doesn’t mean chosen. A lot are referred and a few make the cut and interview. Then they choose (2). A primary and backup. Now usually DHA is a mass hiring, so like I said before, doubtful you’ll be interviewed. They will probably hire 20 VSR/RVSR in one shot at your location. The reason for this is the backlog. This year there were about 60,000 claims reopened on top of what veterans open each day. The additional 60,000 are for blue water Vietnam navy veterans. The VA is understaffed and overworked. Like many other agencies. If it is this easy to get into federal service, you may want to rethink making this leap! I was a DOD civilian, and worked at the National Weather Service, prior to my tenure at VA. The VA is the worst! Should have stayed at the Weather Service. DOD and VA are like the plague, stay away.

Let me just say, and please take this advice seriously, if you are already a federal employee, don’t transfer into VA. It is a terribly mismanaged agency. I am a veteran and a user of VBA and VHA. Two very broken systems. I worked at the VARO for 5 months and finally resigned. Micromanaging supervisors who are scared of losing their jobs bug workers about everything. You are not treated like an adult. Everything is based on quantifiable milestones. So, you will have a monthly quota. That was never an issue for me. I hit my numbers every single month. But what is an issue is the folks that don’t hit their mark still keep their job and get within grade increases. Like I said, broken. If you’re not in the “club” you will hate it.
thanks 2 users thanked Joe Navy84 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 12/13/2021(UTC), TheCapUniverse on 1/12/2022(UTC)
XFed77  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 3:06:27 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

I really appreciate the time you spent and your well explained/written response.

Could have not asked for more.

I wish you the best on your next pursuit/endeavor!

Joe Navy84  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 3:56:26 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

You too! And you’re welcome. I’m not against federal employment, but I am ANTI-LAZY and unfortunately the VA is a cesspool for lazy.
I’m on the stay at home dad train for a while!
FlatAffect  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 5:50:57 PM(UTC)
FlatAffect

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nick777 Go to Quoted Post

Hello Everyone,

I applied and was referred to the VSR & VSR (Rating) positions that closed on 09/27/2021. I was referred to the external candidates certificates.

Thanks

From what I have seen, the VA is hiring their interns using DHA. It's a much shorter time-frame to hire, they have already trained them and they can bring them in 2 GS slots lower.
XFed77  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2021 8:12:41 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: FlatAffect Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Nick777 Go to Quoted Post

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

From what I have seen, the VA is hiring their interns using DHA. It's a much shorter time-frame to hire, they have already trained them and they can bring them in 2 GS slots lower.

Thanks for your comment.

I do know of one guy that qualified for a GS 9 step 10 and they tried to hire him at a GS 7 step 1 and he refused. So, that is very similar to what you're saying.

They have a hiring shortage and want to short change people when the funds are available to hire talented people with experience and in the meantime, veterans' claim processing keeps falling behind.

Come on...
FlatAffect  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 8:58:39 PM(UTC)
FlatAffect

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

I do know of one guy that qualified for a GS 9 step 10 and they tried to hire him at a GS 7 step 1 and he refused. So, that is very similar to what you're saying.

They have a hiring shortage and want to short change people when the funds are available to hire talented people with experience and in the meantime, veterans' claim processing keeps falling behind.

Come on...

It depends on what occupation field you're talking about. For medical, it's very cut and dry. Either you qualify or you don't and they won't negotiate. If it's a GS-09, then it's a GS-09. They key is upward mobility. Can you move up or not?

I see many lower level employees stuck because they accepted a GS-05 position with no possibility of moving up.

youngBull520  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:09:51 PM(UTC)
youngBull520

Man
United States

Hey Folks I applied for the VSR position that closed on 12/18/2021 (many positions). I believe I'm highly qualified being that I currently work for the VA as a Police Officer, have experience that's inline with the requirements as a former criminal investigator, and hold a Master's degree that's related to the field. Do I have a chance and has anyone who applied gotten referred yet? How long does it typically take to hear from someone? Please let me know.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:12:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Joe Navy84  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:12:05 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

Do you have any experience on your resume or SF-50 that correlates to claims processing?
Joe Navy84  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:16:10 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

So, a VSR processes claims for disability compensation. Not sure if education and experience in law enforcement would really carry over to a VSR. Working for the VA already is a start, but experience is key. If you don’t have KSA’s for the position applied, you’re out of luck.

Sidebar—The regional offices are a joke. I’d stay a VA cop….been there done that Regional Office and it’s a step backwards. Lots of politics.
youngBull520  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:19:18 PM(UTC)
youngBull520

Man
United States

Yes showing that I'm currently a VA Police Officer. I'm a retired civilian police officer/criminal investigator of which I explained in detail on my resume. I see that VSR's do a lot of investigative related work and tailored my resume accordingly based on my experience.
youngBull520  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:24:31 PM(UTC)
youngBull520

Man
United States

Well they pay better than VA Police for sure. I'm currently only a GS6 and would probably have to move out of state for any upward mobility (no guarantees). VSR is 7-10 and I feel it would open doors for my future.
Joe Navy84  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 3:39:42 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

Do you like having work quotas? Being micromanaged? Then go for it!
Joe Navy84  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2022 4:08:22 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

VSR’s are not investigating anything. They order medical exams, and search medical records for diagnosis of service connected disabilities and then give the RVSR the information and the veteran is either awarded or denied benefits. Peace.
youngBull520  
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2022 7:42:47 AM(UTC)
youngBull520

Man
United States

Got referred a few weeks ago. Applied under DHA. Still waiting for a job offer. Fingers crossed.
NCWII  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 7:04:00 PM(UTC)
NCWII

United States

Originally Posted by: youngBull520 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Folks I applied for the VSR position that closed on 12/18/2021 (many positions). I believe I'm highly qualified being that I currently work for the VA as a Police Officer, have experience that's inline with the requirements as a former criminal investigator, and hold a Master's degree that's related to the field. Do I have a chance and has anyone who applied gotten referred yet? How long does it typically take to hear from someone? Please let me know.

I just received my confirmation of employment email from VBA as a VSR. I also applied for the position that closed on 12/18/21. Interestingly, I expect a workload backlog which is typical of the VA. I am transitioning from Imaging Service, so I know how to resolve backlog issues. Nonetheless, I look forward to the challenges and rewards working as a VSR.
youngBull520  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 7:34:41 PM(UTC)
youngBull520

Man
United States

Awesome NCWII! I'm still waiting, but you gave me some hope. Which VBA? I'm waiting for a response for the one in Tampa FL. Keep me posted on how things go for you. Thanks. Congrats!!
XFed77  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 6:18:59 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: NCWII Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: youngBull520 Go to Quoted Post

I just received my confirmation of employment email from VBA as a VSR. I also applied for the position that closed on 12/18/21. Interestingly, I expect a workload backlog which is typical of the VA. I am transitioning from Imaging Service, so I know how to resolve backlog issues. Nonetheless, I look forward to the challenges and rewards working as a VSR.

Hello,

So what you are saying is that you received a "Firm Offer" with a start date for the Nationwide VSR position that closed 12/18/2021?

Did you have an interview?

Thanks

Rss Feed  Atom Feed