Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
0018 Hopeful  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2021 6:35:59 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Typically in the Department of Defense normally no more than 5 are interviewed and generally only the top 3 unless there is a problem.

I get a ton of Forest Service, Reclamation, and BLM interviews but never get offered the job.

When they call and ask me to interview I generally get offered 20-30 time slots.

How many people are they honestly interviewing?

Do you guys have some kind of a requirement to interview all disabled veterans?
TxShortie88  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2021 7:56:58 AM(UTC)
TxShortie88

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I work for DOI currently. Used to set up interviews for my agency before transferring positions.

Interviews depends on how many make the cert and the supervisor preference. Some supervisors will interview everyone on the cert. Some will only interview a handful. Lots of time slots because it never fails, someone can't "do" the available time.

I would say, on average somewhere between 5-8 people interview for any given position.

We do not have a requirement to interview Vets. Veteran preference is really more just to get past HR.

Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
Typically in the Department of Defense normally no more than 5 are interviewed and generally only the top 3 unless there is a problem.

I get a ton of Forest Service, Reclamation, and BLM interviews but never get offered the job.

When they call and ask me to interview I generally get offered 20-30 time slots.

How many people are they honestly interviewing?

Do you guys have some kind of a requirement to interview all disabled veterans?

frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2021 10:28:06 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1185 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TxShortie88 Go to Quoted Post
We do not have a requirement to interview Vets. Veteran preference is really more just to get past HR.
If vet preference applies to a position, and you do not interview any vets, you still have to show they are not qualified. If they are qualified and you hire a non-vet, OPM will be very upset...and so will the MSPB, OSC, and a few others that have the power to really impact the hiring office. And you could end up having to hire the vet (and possibly let go of the person you hired!), and possibly paying that vet money as well. Plus the posting...senior leaders seem to have little issue with paying damages, but the idea they could be requiredto sign something that says they screwed up and they promise not to do so in the future really seems to get their attention!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TxShortie88  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2021 12:31:47 PM(UTC)
TxShortie88

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 41 post(s)
This is all if someone (said not-hired veteran) finds out they were not hired and a non-vet was hired. Then they would have to pursue that. I'm telling you, I did this for 3 years....it happens all the time.

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TxShortie88 Go to Quoted Post
If vet preference applies to a position, and you do not interview any vets, you still have to show they are not qualified. If they are qualified and you hire a non-vet, OPM will be very upset...and so will the MSPB, OSC, and a few others that have the power to really impact the hiring office. And you could end up having to hire the vet (and possibly let go of the person you hired!), and possibly paying that vet money as well. Plus the posting...senior leaders seem to have little issue with paying damages, but the idea they could be requiredto sign something that says they screwed up and they promise not to do so in the future really seems to get their attention!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed