Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VAer1  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2021 2:47:41 PM(UTC)
VAer1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If I have both VA health benefit and private health insurance, when visiting VA hospital/clinic (for annual regular health check, like lab test, blood test, etc), do I need to show them private health insurance card? If I have private health insurance, will VA charge money on my private health insurance? If I don't have private health insurance, then I will pay a small amount of copayment.

How does it work if having both private health insurance and VA benefit? Will VA disqualify me from VA health benefit(if knowing I have private health insurance)? I think I am in lower priority group of VA health benefit (war veteran, but not disabled veteran, discharged more than 5 years ago).

Thanks.

Edited by user Sunday, December 26, 2021 2:55:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 6:19:28 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Interesting question. I have both VA health and FEHB, but have never used the VA. I leave those appointments for the folks that really need them. But I would be curious for future reference. They are not going to boot you out of the VA system for having private insurance.
bp340  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 9:48:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VAer1 Go to Quoted Post
If I have both VA health benefit and private health insurance, when visiting VA hospital/clinic (for annual regular health check, like lab test, blood test, etc), do I need to show them private health insurance card? If I have private health insurance, will VA charge money on my private health insurance? If I don't have private health insurance, then I will pay a small amount of copayment.

How does it work if having both private health insurance and VA benefit? Will VA disqualify me from VA health benefit(if knowing I have private health insurance)? I think I am in lower priority group of VA health benefit (war veteran, but not disabled veteran, discharged more than 5 years ago).

Thanks.

Far from an expert but have started using the VA over the past year or so due to private health insurance (FEHB) costs getting out of control. Fortunately (or not) I am at a point where the VA covers everything free of charge. They are aware of my private health insurance (in my record/my va health) but am never asked about it. My experience with the VA has been phenomenal.
old fed  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 12:59:39 PM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 73 post(s)

Thanks.

https://www.va.gov/healt...are-and-other-insurance/
thanks 2 users thanked old fed for this useful post.
VAer1 on 12/27/2021(UTC), JDSIII on 12/28/2021(UTC)
VAer1  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 1:12:13 PM(UTC)
VAer1

United States

Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post

Thanks.

https://www.va.gov/healt...are-and-other-insurance/

Thanks. It is the information I want to know.
thanks 1 user thanked VAer1 for this useful post.
old fed on 12/28/2021(UTC)
FlatAffect  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2021 6:42:41 PM(UTC)
FlatAffect

United States

Thanks.

If you are a combat vet you can be seen at the VA, but there will be a co-pay if you aren't SCD.

I don't know many combat vets who don't have a service-connection.

You must have done a short tour and came back.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed