Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
teahalffull  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 9:18:46 PM(UTC)
teahalffull

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi federal community here on Federal Soup!

So I am currently a fed employee myself (I was GS-9, step 6 in late 2020. After 1 year, I was promoted to GS-11, step 2). I made a mistake of lowballing myself by accepting a lower salary in this current job (I was making way higher salary than my current job; it's still even higher than after my promotion to GS-11). Let's just say I was stupid to follow a terrible advice from a horrible person who did not my best interest at heart.

So I recently received an offer to join a different fed agency under different department. It's GS-11 position, but I want to know if it's good or bad idea to negotiate for step 10 in GS-11 pay band to make up for what I lost. I mean we are talking like jumping from step 2 to step 10. Is it very drastic? Not breaking any HR policy?

I was told that the level of responsibility for a grade level is the same no matter which step you are in, so I should just ask for the highest step 10 anyways.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Much appreciation in advance.

-teahalffull (sorry, I wish to be anonymous)
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 1:42:28 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1045 time(s) in 886 post(s)
You can always ask. But what will you do if they dont agree?

Quote:
I made a mistake of lowballing myself by accepting a lower salary in this current job (I was making way higher salary than my current job; it's still even higher than after my promotion to GS-11)
Do you mean you were making a lot more money before you took that GS-9 offer? Maybe you were, but that's ancient history now. In most cases, a federal HR office will look at your current fed salary and start from there. If you are currently an 11/2 then that is where the discussion will start, and most likely where it will end up.

Good luck! Never hurts to ask.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Delta Romeo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 4:47:41 AM(UTC)
Delta Romeo

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm not certain that you can negotiate as a current federal employee. I tried and was kindly denied with a detailed explanation of the two-step rule. However, my situation was a promotion to a higher grade, not one agency to another at the same grade. I would say that there is no harm in asking. Two ways that it can go; you get denied because of the two-step rule or they approve it.

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../fact-sheets/promotions/
Navy Bubblehead  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2022 5:15:26 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 105 post(s)
There is no negotiation once you are in the Federal system. Pay/promotion rules are fixed and HR will not deviate. Where you should have negotiated was when coming in as a GS-9. At that point you might have been able to get stepped out to a Step 10, which would have been closest to your outside salary. Then promotions would have been based from there and you could have added a few steps. Negotiating at this point is a non-starter. But good luck with that if you try.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed