Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kaliino  
#41 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2022 10:42:53 PM(UTC)
Kaliino

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 964 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thejoker Go to Quoted Post
Got a CJO from the Virtual Hiring event. It's for a single career field and they offered me a salary of GG-07 - GG 10. Of course, I replied "yes" to see how this all plays out, but I feel like I should have negotiated the pay with them upfront and at.least a recruitment bonus too. Have I screwed myself over? I think I should be getting at least a GG-09 (with a higher step) or above if this all does pan out. I'm worried that because I accepted the CJO with such a wide range, I won't have leverage later on. Thanks!

They didn't use to include a pay-grade range in conditional job offers (CJO) before. This change must be designed to improve the number of billets a candidate is eligible for, once they've survived the rest of the hiring process and are approved for a security clearance with SCI access. This means that once you transition into the "cleared hiring pool", more hiring managers will be able to access your resumé for assessment and selection in order to fill one of their vacant billets in the GG07-10 grade range. For example, let's say you were deemed to be qualified for the analysis career field and Bob (Hiring Manager #1) has a vacant GG-07 military analyst billet in his branch. Bob will look through the cleared candidates who were deemed qualified for GG-07 positions and finds you, reviews your resumé and likes you, then calls you up to ask if you're interested in the position.

Since you have already shared that you're only interested in GG-09 and above positions, you should politely tell Bob "no thanks" and encourage him to recontact you if he or any other hiring managers have a vacant analyst billet within your preferred pay-grade range. Fast forward... Miguel (Hiring Manager #2) has a vacant GG-10 counter-terrorism analyst billet, finds your resumé in the cleared hiring pool, and tells you about the position. If you agree to the billet... then Miguel will contact Human Resources and approximately one month later, you'll receive your final job offer (FJO).

It is always a dice roll when ever a candidate declines a FJO so I would think hard on whether or not starting salary matters enough for you to risk being kicked out of the hiring process. Over the years, folks on this forum have reported the opportunity to decline three FJOs before they're removed from the hiring pool, but others have reported being kicked out after they declined the first FJO. I would argue that getting your foot in the door, proving yourself to co-workers and leadership, completing advanced training, and getting promoted is a better strategy than unintentionally pissing people off (by appearing greedy) and them kicking you out.... wasting all of the months and/or years that you spent trying to achieve employment.

In addition, I would encourage you not to worry too much about obtaining any recruitment incentives. Almost all new hires receive a 10% (base salary + locality pay) incentive upon accepting a FJO. This 10% incentive is taxed and you are required to serve a minimum of 12 months with the DIA or you will be forced to re-pay the total incentive amount. You still have a long, long... long... long, long way to go in the hiring process so I would also encourage you to optimize your time and continue applying to jobs elsewhere and to accept the first FJO that aligns with your professional interests.

Edited by user Thursday, May 19, 2022 11:13:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thejoker  
#42 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2022 9:27:27 PM(UTC)
thejoker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: thejoker Go to Quoted Post
Got a CJO from the Virtual Hiring event. It's for a single career field and they offered me a salary of GG-07 - GG 10. Of course, I replied "yes" to see how this all plays out, but I feel like I should have negotiated the pay with them upfront and at.least a recruitment bonus too. Have I screwed myself over? I think I should be getting at least a GG-09 (with a higher step) or above if this all does pan out. I'm worried that because I accepted the CJO with such a wide range, I won't have leverage later on. Thanks!

They didn't use to include a pay-grade range in conditional job offers (CJO) before. This change must be designed to improve the number of billets a candidate is eligible for, once they've survived the rest of the hiring process and are approved for a security clearance with SCI access. This means that once you transition into the "cleared hiring pool", more hiring managers will be able to access your resumé for assessment and selection in order to fill one of their vacant billets in the GG07-10 grade range. For example, let's say you were deemed to be qualified for the analysis career field and Bob (Hiring Manager #1) has a vacant GG-07 military analyst billet in his branch. Bob will look through the cleared candidates who were deemed qualified for GG-07 positions and finds you, reviews your resumé and likes you, then calls you up to ask if you're interested in the position.

Since you have already shared that you're only interested in GG-09 and above positions, you should politely tell Bob "no thanks" and encourage him to recontact you if he or any other hiring managers have a vacant analyst billet within your preferred pay-grade range. Fast forward... Miguel (Hiring Manager #2) has a vacant GG-10 counter-terrorism analyst billet, finds your resumé in the cleared hiring pool, and tells you about the position. If you agree to the billet... then Miguel will contact Human Resources and approximately one month later, you'll receive your final job offer (FJO).

It is always a dice roll when ever a candidate declines a FJO so I would think hard on whether or not starting salary matters enough for you to risk being kicked out of the hiring process. Over the years, folks on this forum have reported the opportunity to decline three FJOs before they're removed from the hiring pool, but others have reported being kicked out after they declined the first FJO. I would argue that getting your foot in the door, proving yourself to co-workers and leadership, completing advanced training, and getting promoted is a better strategy than unintentionally pissing people off (by appearing greedy) and them kicking you out.... wasting all of the months and/or years that you spent trying to achieve employment.

In addition, I would encourage you not to worry too much about obtaining any recruitment incentives. Almost all new hires receive a 10% (base salary + locality pay) incentive upon accepting a FJO. This 10% incentive is taxed and you are required to serve a minimum of 12 months with the DIA or you will be forced to re-pay the total incentive amount. You still have a long, long... long... long, long way to go in the hiring process so I would also encourage you to optimize your time and continue applying to jobs elsewhere and to accept the first FJO that aligns with your professional interests.

Thanks! This was very helpful. I'm going to sit tight as the process unfolds. I don't feel like I missed out an opportunity to advocate for myself after reading your reply.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed