Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gal Friday  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2022 10:16:51 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
For a normal federal job that's not high security (just government trust or something like that), can I make it to the final offer without them contacting my supervisor in my current job on the outside?

Thank you kindly for any help!
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2022 5:23:56 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1200 time(s) in 960 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
For a normal federal job that's not high security (just government trust or something like that), can I make it to the final offer without them contacting my supervisor in my current job on the outside?

Thank you kindly for any help!
You could. But it depends on whether the hiring official wants to contact prior supervisors and references for thoroughness, and make certain they aren't making a mistake. One bad input from a supervisor isn't a killer, but we expect the references you provide to be positive...so talking to prior supervisors can provide some balance.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Gal Friday on 1/24/2022(UTC)
GRITS  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2022 10:15:33 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I agree with frankgonzalez....I was told by my last supervisor (non federal) that my prior supervisor had given them a reference that wasn't the best. This supervisor basically give me the heads up on my previous supervisor and I was able to just use my director as my contact for my current position since they were over the entire department. But that showed me that one not so good reference isn't going to stop someone from hiring you especially if you have everything else that is needed in a good candidate.
FrankJr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2022 1:19:05 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 121 post(s)
The application cannot be completed without listing the supervisor and contact information. For most non-fed employment the contact information is a generic number for human resources. Regardless, check all the boxes you want indicating the supervisor isn't to be called but the hiring manager is free to call.

Standard practice in the private sector to confirm employment, dates of employment and rehire status; and not one word more.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed