Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
0018 Hopeful  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2022 5:33:01 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Strange story; so I interviewed for an agency about 6 months ago and it went well, but I didn't get the job. About 3 months ago they call me and ask me if I was interested in another position in the same office. Then about a month ago they call me and tell me I am hired.

They want to use the Delegated Examining Unit (DEU) authority to hire me. For those not familiar I lose tenure for a year. Though it is a GS to GS job. I know right?

The job was posted on USA jobs as an All US Citizens announcement.

I want the job, I want to move where the position is, my family wants it. But...... After doing this (civil servant thing) for almost 15 years. The risk of the 1 year of probation to me doesn't work.

Really don't have any idea of what to do.

I am the sole breadwinner for our family, and I am in a weird series that is very uncommon. There aren't that many jobs in the private sector. So finding one in a location I want at the pay scale I want to be at is crazy awesome.

Then finding out that if I don't mesh with these people we as a family are screwed.

Also it is massively expensive there, but pretty much everywhere east of the Great Plains is expensive including where we live. So it would be van down by the river sucking if this failed.

0018 Hopeful  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2022 5:34:37 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

The Delegated Examining Unit (DEU) hiring authority is not listed in the job announcement.
GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2022 7:20:35 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 600 time(s) in 492 post(s)
DEU is not a separate hiring authority. Just about every GS hiring activity takes place within a DEU. What may be going on is that the job you sought originally was filled on an 'erroneous' basis and the Agency is trying to correct it. The closest reference to this I can find in OPM is here: https://www.opm.gov/poli...l=Erroneous-Appointments This may not be the case, but I'd sure try to find out what was really going on.
0018 Hopeful  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2022 2:56:49 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Thanks, I can't find anything on it either.

There are references from many agencies outside of OPM (and outside of the hiring agency) that claim that anyone with tenure has tenure even for a not so normal gs DOD to GS DOI or USDA type thing. Where they used to require 2 years in a land management agency before you had actual tenure.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 4:08:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Or they could have misspoke and are using Direct Hire Authority (DHA) not DEU, and the HR drone may not realize they are different.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
0018 Hopeful  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 7:06:57 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Would a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) require a 1 year probation?

Would I be subject to it? I have tenure group 1, and have 15 years of service as a GS.

If I was subject to it, would I have appeal rights?

Edited by user Thursday, February 10, 2022 7:16:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

0018 Hopeful  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 8:31:10 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

I found this. I am switching agencies. I think I am screwed.

https://www.opm.gov/poli...uthority/#url=Fact-Sheet

Are appointments under Direct-Hire Authority subject to a 1-year probationary period? View less
Yes. Using Direct-Hire Authority (DHA), the individual is "appointed to the competitive service ... by special appointing authority ... [and] serves a 1-year probationary period unless specifically exempt from probation by the authority itself." [See 5 CFR 315.801(e)]. The DHA regulations do not address probation. Therefore, consistent with 5 U.S.C. 3321(a) a 1-year probation period applies, unless the person has prior Federal service that counts toward completion of probation. [See 5 CFR 315.802.]
0018 Hopeful  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 8:32:25 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

§ 315.802 Length of probationary period; crediting service.
(a) The probationary period required by § 315.801 is 1 year and may not be extended.

(b) Prior Federal civilian service (including nonappropriated fund service) counts toward completion of probation when the prior service:

(1) Is in the same agency, e.g., Department of the Army;

(2) Is in the same line of work (determined by the employee's actual duties and responsibilities); and

(3) Contains or is followed by no more than a single break in service that does not exceed 30 calendar days.

(c) Periods of absence while in a pay status count toward completion of probation. Absence in nonpay status while on the rolls (other than for compensable injury or military duty) is creditable up to a total of 22 workdays. Absence (whether on or off the rolls) due to compensable injury or military duty is creditable in full upon restoration to Federal service. Nonpay time in excess of 22 workdays extends the probationary period by an equal amount. An employee serving probation who leaves Federal service to become a volunteer with the Peace Corps or the Corporation for National and Community Service serves the remainder of the probationary period upon reinstatement provided the employee is reinstated within 90 days of termination of service as a volunteer or training for such service.

(d) The probationary period for part-time employees is computed on the basis of calendar time, in the same manner as for full-time employees. For intermittent employees, i.e., those who do not have regularly scheduled tours of duty, each day or part of a day in pay status counts as 1 day of credit toward the 260 days in a pay status required for completion of probation. (However, the probationary period cannot be completed in less than 1 year of calendar time.)

[60 FR 53504, Oct. 16, 1995]
0018 Hopeful  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 10:25:13 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

I found this:

https://www.opm.gov/poli...elations/employee-rights
-appeals/#url=Appeals

Employee Coverage
An individual must receive full procedural and appeal rights if he or she
meets the definition of "employee" provided at 5 U.S.C. § 7511 (external
link) (PDF file). Employees working during their probationary/trial periods
generally are not covered. In certain circumstances, however, individuals
working in probationary/trial periods have prior current continuous service
that may qualify them to receive full procedural and appeal rights. As a
result, it is advisable to always review the requirements at chapter 75.
Supervisors should consult with their servicing human resources office to
help them determine if an individual meets the statutory definition of
"employee." An individual must receive full procedural and appeal rights if
he or she is:

in the competitive service and has completed one year of current continuous
service under other than a temporary appointment limited to one year or
less;
hemihem  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2022 9:20:13 AM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I switch agency after 8 years GS, new agency required 1 year probation. The funny thing is the year went by so fast, I don't even remember.

That being said, go for it. By the time you get your bearing a year would have passed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed