Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
warrior79  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2022 9:12:24 AM(UTC)
warrior79

Groups: Registered
United States

I recently received a job offer with the Department of Labor as an investigator. It’s a non-covered position and not law enforcement. I’m currently in a federal law enforcement position for almost three years now and considering a career/ position change due to having a new family and work/life balance. However, I’m struggling with the reality of giving up 6c coverage which is a better retirement overall. It’s similar pay (little less due to additional percentage of base salary that I receive with DHS) but the DOL has telework, work/life balance, and limited travel which the DHS job that I’m in now has travel opportunities, better retirement, but no telework. Just trying to gain some advice here. It was my dream to be in federal law enforcement but feel like the position I’m in currently is not what I expected but desire to lateral to other federal law enforcement agencies that I’m currently seeking. However, if I leave now that opportunity no longer presents itself due to my age as I need to maintain the federal law enforcement position. Thank you.
djp  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2022 5:11:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 173 post(s)
Originally Posted by: warrior79 Go to Quoted Post
I recently received a job offer with the Department of Labor as an investigator. It’s a non-covered position and not law enforcement. I’m currently in a federal law enforcement position for almost three years now and considering a career/ position change due to having a new family and work/life balance. However, I’m struggling with the reality of giving up 6c coverage which is a better retirement overall. It’s similar pay (little less due to additional percentage of base salary that I receive with DHS) but the DOL has telework, work/life balance, and limited travel which the DHS job that I’m in now has travel opportunities, better retirement, but no telework. Just trying to gain some advice here. It was my dream to be in federal law enforcement but feel like the position I’m in currently is not what I expected but desire to lateral to other federal law enforcement agencies that I’m currently seeking. However, if I leave now that opportunity no longer presents itself due to my age as I need to maintain the federal law enforcement position. Thank you.

This is something for you to decide. There is no magic formula.

Look at carer advancement. What can you becomes. If you were in active LEO how high do you expect to go in your career vs this one? In your LEO job is it varied dhift hours? This coukd cause marital issues with young kids and your spouse putting all the weight potentially on them. How is your spouse on your job risks?

warrior79  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 5:22:44 PM(UTC)
warrior79

United States

Thank you for the feedback. I agree there’s no magic formula to a career/job change. In both positions, there’s career advancement such as management positions, however, I was in a government management position before and not trying to be a supervisor/manager again. There are more units/assignments with the DHS position but the DOL position is more family friendly with better work/life balance. My DHS position is pretty much 8-4 Monday thru Friday no weekends. The DOL position has flexible schedules Monday thru Friday. My spouse thinks I should stay where I’m at since I only been there for three years and give it more of a shot but my gut is telling me work/life is more important now with the new family and the DOL position seems to offer that.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 1, 2022 5:26:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed