Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fooleish  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 7:00:25 AM(UTC)
Fooleish

Groups: Registered
United States

I had a Tentative job offer rescinded due to 'lack of competition'. What could this mean?

Does it mean that there weren't enough applicants for the position? I didn't know there was a minimum threshold.

If there's a lack of competition, then wouldn't they WANT to hire someone like me who WANTS the job? How are they going to fill the position if there were too few applicants before?

What really gets me is that they had me do over a MONTH of onboarding, drug test, e-Qip, PCS papers and even a no-fee passport waiver, only to pull the rug out from under me like this?

What is going on?

Edited by user Wednesday, April 13, 2022 3:13:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

retired619  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 7:37:23 AM(UTC)
retired619

United States

Wow, that sucks. I feel your pain.

I had a similar gut punch. In my scenario, i actually had my official job offer rescinded and pulled - a day before I was suppose to report. Come to find out, the HR Supervisor was on leave and her assistants didn't fully check my DD-214 and due to their negligence, they didn't catch that I would need a waiver. Since i had just recently retired from the Armed Forces, a waiver was needed since i hadn't been retired for 180 days yet.

I can laugh at it now, but in the moment, my head was spinning.

FS0201  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 8:47:50 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 282 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fooleish Go to Quoted Post
I had a Temporary job offer rescinded due to 'lack of competition'. What could this mean?

Does it mean that there weren't enough applicants for the position? I didn't know there was a minimum threshold.

If there's a lack of competition, then wouldn't they WANT to hire someone like me who WANTS the job? How are they going to fill the position if there were too few applicants before?

What really gets me is that they had me do over a MONTH of onboarding, drug test, e-Qip, PCS papers and even a no-fee passport waiver, only to pull the rug out from under me like this?

What is going on?

Do you mean tentative job offer? Not sure what it means but could be audit showed there was an irregularity of some sort. Unfortunately offers can be rescinded until you are in the seat; I have seen it occur while an individual was in process of relocating… Best you can do is keep applying and hope the next offer works out.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
someoldguy on 4/13/2022(UTC)
djp  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2022 9:10:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 173 post(s)
It can happen….but it’s not some mandatory minimum.

Many jobs announcements are created in a way to select an already decided on applicant.

One of my positions I was told I was the only qualified applicant for the job.

These circumstances can occur because
(1) senior level personnel quashed this to open it up to a larger applicant pool and thus could involve changing the series from a positive education required series to one that isn’t. From my experience many agencies turn 1500 math/ stats series to0343 to broaden the applicant pool.
(2) there could have been some violations made in the job announcement of pool of who can apply. They used this as an excuse.
(3) there could have been issues in the job description used that didn’t meet local standards. If this a job thst is common in different divisions they might have anSOP om job announcements that wasn’t followed here.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed