Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
C17Girl  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2022 12:14:23 PM(UTC)
C17Girl

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm surprised I haven't seen this topic anywhere specifically since the DoD started allowing time off military retirement age. If an ART/Technician retires from the military at age 57 and can collect immediate retirement on military side, does this qualify the individual for a DSR on the civilian side? I'd like to pursue this option when I can reach my reduced retirement age, but I want to ensure OPM would honor it as loss of military service without forcing an unwanted civilian position offer on me. Basically, it's not worth it to me unless I can retire from both services at the same time, and be eligible to receive both retirements plus the social security supplement immediately. Am I assuming too much here?
10years2retire  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 11:30:20 AM(UTC)
10years2retire

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: C17Girl Go to Quoted Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen this topic anywhere specifically since the DoD started allowing time off military retirement age. If an ART/Technician retires from the military at age 57 and can collect immediate retirement on military side, does this qualify the individual for a DSR on the civilian side? I'd like to pursue this option when I can reach my reduced retirement age, but I want to ensure OPM would honor it as loss of military service without forcing an unwanted civilian position offer on me. Basically, it's not worth it to me unless I can retire from both services at the same time, and be eligible to receive both retirements plus the social security supplement immediately. Am I assuming too much here?

Regulation is here, key word seems to be "involuntary", so your civ position needs to be merged or rif'd, and there is no other civ position avail that you can be placed in. Keep in mind if they do it for you, you will still lose 5% per year, for each year that your under age 62, unless you have 20 or more years in civ retirement system.

https://www.opm.gov/reti...rsfers-handbook/c044.pdf
Civil10  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2022 10:12:28 AM(UTC)

Oh the ART world, as long as you're healthy and play by the rule book and do over 30 plus years you're good. And don't forget to be a YES man. Getting a DSR might be possible but if they code you differently then you might not get money till your MRA. It's defiantly a long haul in the ART world, but in the end it pays off. But you will put up with miles of BS through the career. Make sure before you leave early that it's in writing.

Edited by user Saturday, May 7, 2022 10:13:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed