Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mpo_123  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2022 5:31:03 PM(UTC)
mpo_123

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States
Location: NJ

Are there any taxpayer advocates who can share their experiences and advice on this forum? I started working for the IRS as a Tax Examiner in late 2020 and have been applying to other jobs such as Revenue Officer, TCO, SSA Contact Rep, etc. The latest interview was for a Case Advocate position, and I am waiting on the results. I'll take the job if I get it primarily because my current series doesn't go any further than a GS7. I was not offered the other jobs I mentioned because while I feel as though I'd be a strong candidate, I interview poorly due to having high anxiety in an interview setting.

During the interview, I asked if whether it was true that the position goes up to an 11. The interviewer advised me that individuals move up one grade per year, which I believe is slower than other positions. I'd be giving up my GS6 to go back to a 5 just to get the availability of the 11 down the road. I have loads of experience interacting with people from other positions I've held, so I'm ready for the difficulties that can cause.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2022 6:24:59 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 529
United States

Thanks: 42 times
Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 73 post(s)
I was a TCO that maxes at grade 9 for 7 years and interviewed for RA 2 times and didn't get the RA job. I am currently a 13 in CI. Keep applying. You can also mock interview for the position since you say you aren't the greatest at interviewing. Use it to your advantage.

Look how the position is advertised. 5/7/9 or 5/6/7....if it is 5/7/9 then it goes up by 2 grades until promotion potential. If it's 5/6/7 it goes up by one grade until promotion potential.

Good luck!
TheCapUniverse  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2022 11:36:45 AM(UTC)
TheCapUniverse

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2021(UTC)
Posts: 35
United States
Location: GA

Thanks: 17 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was a contact rep GS 8 and took the GS 5 in TAS with pay retention and it was the best thing for my career. I was a Case Advocate from 2014-2019 and I learned so much there. The job goes 5/7/9/11 and leads are 12s. You will have an inventory of cases that you will work. The workload has gotten heavier over the last few years. I think the Case Advocate position is an amazing way to get into other parts of the IRS because there's not one area that TAS doesn't work with in some capacity. TAS also has it's own mentoring program, mock interview program, and really runs independent of the Service. I took advantage of all TAS had to offer and those things helped me to be a GS 13 Analyst in W&I Headquarters.

The CA job is 100% inventory management. Everything else is second. If you'd like to chat feel free to send me a PM.

Edited by user Sunday, May 1, 2022 11:40:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

federalgovtjobseeker  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 6:48:26 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 350
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post
I was a contact rep GS 8 and took the GS 5 in TAS with pay retention and it was the best thing for my career. I was a Case Advocate from 2014-2019 and I learned so much there. The job goes 5/7/9/11 and leads are 12s. You will have an inventory of cases that you will work. The workload has gotten heavier over the last few years. I think the Case Advocate position is an amazing way to get into other parts of the IRS because there's not one area that TAS doesn't work with in some capacity. TAS also has it's own mentoring program, mock interview program, and really runs independent of the Service. I took advantage of all TAS had to offer and those things helped me to be a GS 13 Analyst in W&I Headquarters.

The CA job is 100% inventory management. Everything else is second. If you'd like to chat feel free to send me a PM.


You mention inventory management. How many cases are in a Case Advocate’s inventory per GS level (5-11)? I know the RO’s inventory is in the IRM but I couldn’t find anything on the Case Advocate.
TheCapUniverse  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2022 6:52:01 PM(UTC)
TheCapUniverse

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2021(UTC)
Posts: 35
United States
Location: GA

Thanks: 17 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post
I was a contact rep GS 8 and took the GS 5 in TAS with pay retention and it was the best thing for my career. I was a Case Advocate from 2014-2019 and I learned so much there. The job goes 5/7/9/11 and leads are 12s. You will have an inventory of cases that you will work. The workload has gotten heavier over the last few years. I think the Case Advocate position is an amazing way to get into other parts of the IRS because there's not one area that TAS doesn't work with in some capacity. TAS also has it's own mentoring program, mock interview program, and really runs independent of the Service. I took advantage of all TAS had to offer and those things helped me to be a GS 13 Analyst in W&I Headquarters.

The CA job is 100% inventory management. Everything else is second. If you'd like to chat feel free to send me a PM.


You mention inventory management. How many cases are in a Case Advocate’s inventory per GS level (5-11)? I know the RO’s inventory is in the IRM but I couldn’t find anything on the Case Advocate.



There isn't anything in the IRM because TAS is about hardships. There's no set number. I know people who have about 60 cases which is light and I know people who have 150 because they don't move their work and sit on it. The inventory is the same for everyone regardless of grade. You might not get complex issues or BMF at the GS 5 though. But yeah, TAS inventory is crazy right now because it's country driven. All those returns that didn't process, folks who didn't get their stimulus, people not working because they loss jobs during COVID, people calling their Congressman....all those equate to TAS cases lol.
thanks 1 user thanked TheCapUniverse for this useful post.
federalgovtjobseeker on 5/20/2022(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2022 6:34:12 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 350
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post
I was a contact rep GS 8 and took the GS 5 in TAS with pay retention and it was the best thing for my career. I was a Case Advocate from 2014-2019 and I learned so much there. The job goes 5/7/9/11 and leads are 12s. You will have an inventory of cases that you will work. The workload has gotten heavier over the last few years. I think the Case Advocate position is an amazing way to get into other parts of the IRS because there's not one area that TAS doesn't work with in some capacity. TAS also has it's own mentoring program, mock interview program, and really runs independent of the Service. I took advantage of all TAS had to offer and those things helped me to be a GS 13 Analyst in W&I Headquarters.

The CA job is 100% inventory management. Everything else is second. If you'd like to chat feel free to send me a PM.


You mention inventory management. How many cases are in a Case Advocate’s inventory per GS level (5-11)? I know the RO’s inventory is in the IRM but I couldn’t find anything on the Case Advocate.



There isn't anything in the IRM because TAS is about hardships. There's no set number. I know people who have about 60 cases which is light and I know people who have 150 because they don't move their work and sit on it. The inventory is the same for everyone regardless of grade. You might not get complex issues or BMF at the GS 5 though. But yeah, TAS inventory is crazy right now because it's country driven. All those returns that didn't process, folks who didn't get their stimulus, people not working because they loss jobs during COVID, people calling their Congressman....all those equate to TAS cases lol.


Makes sense. Thanks for the information on that. Sounds like a bunch of inventory!
Hired 2015  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2022 3:46:29 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 296

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Attended an intro class on TAS and expressed interest. The presenter in front of the group was ruthless in taking me down as and I quote, "You will never be qualified." Why include me in the class just to put me down in front of everyone? That was a 100 ways of wrong. Not interested in the ego trip the presenter was on.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.659 seconds.