Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kristin  
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2022 10:50:42 PM(UTC)
Kristin

Groups: Registered
United States

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Kristin Go to Quoted Post
Good Morning, All! I'm new here and don't know how to reply to individual posts so I will answer all here. Yes, I was talking about Commerce when I said that they told me that if I use my DoD return rights with an alternate return location, that I will not be able to have my other entitlements like TQSA.

The 5 year rule did not apply to me in my current position (excepted service), so that's not the reason that any of this is happening.

If I do have to have return orders to my HOR (Virginia), and then do a totally separate move to Colorado (which is what they are telling me) the suggestion to rent an airbnb or something temporarily for a week (as long as it has a garage) could be a good option that I had not considered, thank you for that! It still seems completely illogical and waste and abuse that the government (and me too!) would have to spend so much more just because they can't figure out how to do this. Even with having somewhere to unpack my goods (at my expense), I still have to take leave time to go and receive them and my car, drive back to Colorado, etc. Plus, whatever RITA doesn't cover with the move, I now have significantly higher move expenses that i've received.

Anyway, with only 2 1/2 weeks to go, I think I might be stuck.

On screen in the top right corner there is a quote box. On a smart phone/ iPad you might have to click in the post for it to appear in the top right.

Thank you for the tip about how to reply! Commerce does not contract through DOD, they have their own relocation department and contracts. I like your idea of the storage unit and may have to go that route. It will take 90 days for my things to arrive.

The other uncertainty is how long will it take for stuff to even come bachpk to Virginia.

As I mentioned…what does commerce use? Do they do the contract work through DOD and their channels or do they have their own?

Knowing the size of your belongings youcan rent an extra large storage unit where you could return and unpack your things before the movers pack. What does the DOD say on mainland storage coverage time? 30 days? You can find out where storage is located like a private company so you can take over storage payments when DOD ends. These costs could get reimbursed by commerce in their moving allowance. The devil is in the details of the moving terms.

Do you have any furniture stateside?

Kristin  
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2022 10:53:52 PM(UTC)
Kristin

United States

Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
JTR part "F" 09/21/2021 starts civilian section. 053713 Travel and Transportation Funding (FTR §302-2) begins explanation.

Find 053713A. Movement between Different Departments and Agencies or DoD Components. This applies to movement between any of the following: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, DoD Components, and to or from non-DoD Agencies. Except in the case of a RIF, transfer of function, or movement under the DoD Priority Placement Program (PPP), costs associated with a PCS may be paid by the gaining Department, Agency, or DoD Component.

Thank you for sending these regs! The bad news is that i'm going to the Dept of Commerce, not a DOD agency or component.
Kristin  
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2022 10:56:29 PM(UTC)
Kristin

United States

Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Kristin Go to Quoted Post
Good Morning! I am an Oconus civilian employee of DoD. I have accepted a position with Commerce back stateside, which has relocation expenses included. DoD says that they will execute return rights orders to my home of record (VA) with an alternate location (CO), which is where my new position with Commerce is. Then, i will get a bill for the cost constructed difference in the total cost minus the cost of sending me to my home of record (which is DoD's responsible portion). Commerce says they have no way to reimburse me for that portion, and that the only way for me to get the PCS benefits from Virginia (HOR) to Colorado (new position) is to have DoD deliver my household goods to Virginia and then do a second/separate PCS from there. There are many problems with this, even if i go ahead and fly to Colorado as soon as i land in Virginia. For one, i don't have a home in Virginia to have my goods delivered. Commerce said they would look into the possibility of authorizing a storage unit for me in Virginia to have the household goods delivered to until I can have the packout from Virginia to Colorado scheduled. Aside from the complications of getting back and forth to receive HHG and then resend it, what moving company is going to accept HHG already boxed? They aren't. How will the unpack and repack at a storage facility? They can't. How much more will it cost Commerce to do a complete PCS move than it would have to simply pay the constructed cost difference of a move already in progress? A LOT. This is just not logical or feasible. There must be an answer and the Commerce Dept, because they don't deal with OCONUS to CONUS moves very often, isn't aware of how to handle it. They did encourage me to find info if I could and that they would look into it, so here i am hoping someone here has experience with this situation. The other alternative they gave me was simply to do the DoD return rights move to Colorado and I pay the constructed cost difference myself, out of pocket. That is not possible. Thanks for any help you can provide!

This falls Under "Different Agencies"

JTR part "F" 09/21/2021 starts civilian section. 053713 Travel and Transportation Funding (FTR §302-2) begins explanation.

Find 053713A. Movement between Different Departments and Agencies or DoD Components. This applies to movement between any of the following: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, DoD Components, and to or from non-DoD Agencies. Except in the case of a RIF, transfer of function, or movement under the DoD Priority Placement Program (PPP), costs associated with a PCS may be paid by the gaining Department, Agency, or DoD Component.

Constructive cost from HOR to new PDS only applies if moving under "Same" agency.

I did send this info to the Dept of Commerce, but they told me they do not participate in/fall under the JTR, so none of these regs apply. WAAAAHHHH!!!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed