Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2022 10:10:40 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/18/2017(UTC)
Posts: 86
United States
Location: Florida

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I am in the process of building a site where injured workers can go to for information about OWCP. One thing I want to have on this site are training or tutorial videos. What I am requesting from all of you is what types of tutorials would you like to see and/or what you think would be beneficial to injured federal workers.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated input.
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2022 6:56:28 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/1/2009(UTC)
Posts: 2,067

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
March for Justice!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
VW1 on 8/8/2022(UTC)
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2022 10:05:28 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 3,093

Thanks: 385 times
Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 336 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Snowed Go to Quoted Post
stuff like that
Yes that would be good. Here are some other good examples:

I was injured at work. How do I file a claim?

If you sustain an injury at work, you will need to file a CA-1, "Federal Employee's Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation" or form CA-2 "Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation". A traumatic injury is one that can be pinpointed to have occurred during one particular work shift, like falling down the steps for example. An occupational disease is a medical condition that has developed due to work activities performed over more than one work shift. See 20 C.F.R.§§ 10.100-10.101

If you are still employed by the federal agency where you worked when the injury occurred, submit the claim through your employing agency. Be sure to keep a copy of everything for your records. Your agency will complete their portion of the CA-1 or CA-2 and submit the entire packet to the OWCP. OWCP will advise you of the claim number which has been established. The claims examiner (CE) that gets assigned to your claim will review all the information submitted to them and will determine if a decision can be issued or if further information is needed. If the CE determine additional information is needed before your claim can be adjudicated, they will send you a development letter explaining what information is needed to come to a decision on your claim.

If you are no longer employed by the Federal government, you should submit the completed form to the Federal agency where you last worked when the injury or disease was sustained. If the agency no longer exists or you experience difficulties in submitting the form, you should contact ​OWCP at 202-513-6860.

Is there a time limit to file a claim?

The Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA) provides that a claim for compensation must be filed within 3 years of the date of injury. For a traumatic injury, the statutory time limitation begins to run from the date of injury. For a latent condition, it begins to run when an injured employee with a compensable disability becomes aware, or reasonably should have been aware, of a possible relationship between the medical condition and the employment. Where the exposure to the identified factors of employment continues after this knowledge, the time for filing begins to run on the date of the employee's last exposure to those factors. If a claim is not filed within 3 years, compensation may still be paid if written notice of injury was given within 30 days or if the employer had actual knowledge of the injury within 30 days after it occurred. There is nothing to prohibit you from filing the claim. Timeliness is determined by the OWCP district office as part of the adjudication process. 5 U.S.C.§ 8122; 20 C.F.R. §§ 10.100-10.101

If my injury causes me to miss time from work, how do I get paid for those lost hours?

There are several situations that may cause you to lose time from work due to your accepted injury or illness. You could lose time from work because your treating physician deems you totally temporarily disabled (TTD) from working because of your injury or illness. You might need to attend a medical appointment or therapy during your normal working hours. If your doctor determines you can return to work with restrictions and you cannot work a full eight-hour day but can work a limited number of hours per day. Your doctor may return you to work full-time with restrictions, but your employer cannot accommodate your restrictions for a full eight-hour day.

In all the above examples and for any other reason that you lose wages from being out of work due to your injury or illness, you will always need to file a form CA-7 "Claim for Compensation" with your agency. The only exception to this requirement is if you filed a traumatic injury claim, then for the first 45 days you are entitled to Continuation of Pay (COP) (See note below if you are a Postal employee) If you are entitled to continuation of pay your employing agency will pay you for the first 45 days just as if you had gone to work. If you are still disabled from working after that 45-day period, you will then need to start submitting a CA-7 to your employing agency.

** If you are a Postal employee, you have a 3-day waiting period to start your COP. This 3-day waiting period is waived if you are out of work for 14 days or more. You will have to have the Postal Service do a pay adjustment for those first 3 days unless your doctor has stated you will be out of work for more than 14 days in their initial report, and the Postal Service pays you for those days.

If your time lost from work is intermittent, then you will need to also file form CA-7A "Time Analysis Form" with your CA-7. The CA-7A will document your LWOP hours along with your hours worked or hours that you might have used sick or annual leave for the dates you are claiming wage loss compensation for. Keep in mind if you are claiming wage loss compensation for time missed from work to attend a medical appointment, therapy, or diagnostic testing, your claim for compensation will not be paid until OWCP receives medical evidence that you attended those appointments.

If your employing agency has enrolled for electronic submission of forms via ECOMP, you may file the forms on the ECOMP site. Don't be surprised if you do submit these forms through ECOMP your employer may contact you to submit the forms with your actual handwritten signature on them. According to OWCP they can do this even though when you submit the forms through ECOMP, it clearly states by submitting the form you are electronically signing the form. Your employer cannot delay the submission of these forms to OWCP just because they want a handwritten signature on them. They must submit your CA-7 and CA-7A within five working days of the date they receive them.

thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
VW1 on 8/8/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.280 seconds.