Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gal Friday  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2022 5:53:31 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 896

Thanks: 155 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Covid is getting worse in most places. People will be going back just when their vaccinations are wearing off ... should have gone back before when people had more immunity ... it's not a good plan!
kayadash  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2022 10:03:44 PM(UTC)
kayadash

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/2/2017(UTC)
Posts: 35

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
Covid is getting worse in most places. People will be going back just when their vaccinations are wearing off ... should have gone back before when people had more immunity ... it's not a good plan!




It also seems like a major misstep by NTEU in not bargaining for certain positions to be eligible for full telework.

My particular permanent position is not based on the service center level. There is no legitimate purpose for me to appear once weekly.
Hired 2015  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 4:19:07 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 309

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Larger daycare by us announced they are closing permanently in 2 weeks. Grocery store cut hours. Gas station now closes at 10pm. Schools are on/off random at home learning. Good luck on getting in for routine car upkeep and having life needs met for RTO.

Running against the wind and tide of change. GAAP cowboys we will always ride. Its a decimal thing.



mschilli1977  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2022 10:40:43 AM(UTC)
mschilli1977

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/12/2016(UTC)
Posts: 30
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I really doubt it is going to be pushed back. Everything seems to be moving forward to open up.
Gal Friday  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2022 12:09:01 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 896

Thanks: 155 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Read the Washington Post. If you have a mild Covid case with little or even no symptoms, there is still a 30% chance you will develop Long Covid that will last a year or more ... maybe for life!
ThisHereFed  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2022 6:44:56 PM(UTC)
ThisHereFed

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2021(UTC)
Posts: 47
United States
Location: GA

Thanks: 19 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kayadash Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
Covid is getting worse in most places. People will be going back just when their vaccinations are wearing off ... should have gone back before when people had more immunity ... it's not a good plan!




It also seems like a major misstep by NTEU in not bargaining for certain positions to be eligible for full telework.

My particular permanent position is not based on the service center level. There is no legitimate purpose for me to appear once weekly.



Our report date is definitely not being pushed back. I'm in Headquarters in W&I and the execs already have been reporting. With that being said, it has been mentioned that remote work is up for discussion for some area analysts. It won't be any time soon but it's part of the conversation. It's a treasury and IRS convo....the union can only do so much lol.
Gal Friday  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2022 1:46:14 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 896

Thanks: 155 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
It's a fluid situation. New York City is approaching a COVID alert level of “high,” according to an advisory from the health department on Monday, that urges New Yorkers to again wear face mask in indoor settings. For now, the city’s alert level remains “medium,” but cases are rising.
scottyd27  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2022 1:47:39 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 960
United States

Thanks: 20 times
Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kayadash Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
Covid is getting worse in most places. People will be going back just when their vaccinations are wearing off ... should have gone back before when people had more immunity ... it's not a good plan!




It also seems like a major misstep by NTEU in not bargaining for certain positions to be eligible for full telework.

My particular permanent position is not based on the service center level. There is no legitimate purpose for me to appear once weekly.


The union is part of the problem why we aren’t back already.

Can’t wait until pay period 15 to withdraw. For this useless org.

And COVID is not getting worse there are more cases but less hospitalization. Don’t buy into the fear porn peddled by the Branch-Covidians.
scottyd27  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2022 1:48:40 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 960
United States

Thanks: 20 times
Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gal Friday Go to Quoted Post
Read the Washington Post. If you have a mild Covid case with little or even no symptoms, there is still a 30% chance you will develop Long Covid that will last a year or more ... maybe for life!


The Washington compost? Yeah talk about misinformation
Gal Friday  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2022 5:01:40 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 896

Thanks: 155 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
No one else wants to catch Covid even if they have a minor case. A previously healthy and vaccinated 47-year-old woman became infected with COVID in the summer of 2021. Most of her acute symptoms dissipated within 48 hours, but she continued to have severe fatigue, brain fog, exhaustion after exercise, insomnia, racing heartbeat and body aches severe enough that she could no longer work.
mschilli1977  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2022 6:59:52 PM(UTC)
mschilli1977

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/12/2016(UTC)
Posts: 30
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
So you are going to stay locked in your room until Covid disappears?
scottyd27  
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2022 4:04:37 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 960
United States

Thanks: 20 times
Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mschilli1977 Go to Quoted Post
So you are going to stay locked in your room until Covid disappears?


Well in her case one can only hope.

You might get long COVID. You could also get killed in a car accident on your way to work.

If you don’t want to work quit your job
Hired 2015  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2022 6:35:09 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 309

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I agree the optics were poor to have NTEU in the office. To be fair we can't assume their personal situation allowed them to telework. I would like to see a written reply from NTEU as to why they were working in the office and why they see that as not undermining its membership.

Prior to covid many companies had telework that had the ring around it to be a financial penalty issue to work from home. Primarily telework was designed around the financial penalty for parents, caregivers, disabled and older workers that didn't save enough to retire. There is bias thinking that telework allows workers to find another job. There are economic fallacies that the loss of in person reporting to the office undermines management control and local business.

I found it odd that NTEU founded in Wisconsin didn't apply the history of that states history on telework. Many Wisconsin companies have had telework for decades. The truth is Wisconsin industries used telework as a reward/punishment system. Workers had to be with the company for so long, had to meet performance levels & accept pay/benefit cuts. Almost always teleworkers were not paid sick time as a tradeoff. 50% pay reduction or minimum wage pay for vacation is common for teleworkers up north. Teleworkers seldom had more than healthcare coverage as a benefit due to benefit rules. Supervisors of telework units often had 100 or more employees because there was far less administrative duties. In some companies you could do 30 days in the office a year for added benefits like dental and vision.

Benefits. How much would you trade off for 100% telework? Decimal monster as we say back home, to care for a sick family member you take a pay cut & things go on until you get food stamps. The accountant rodeo.

I don't agree with RTO. Based on my experience of the payback for telework from Wisconsin I'll be a pretender for awhile as I roll closer to retirement. If it gets too much oh well, its just a job.















Gal Friday  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2022 10:26:30 AM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 896

Thanks: 155 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Wait ... if you get Covid, don't worry. You can always take the antiviral drug Paxlovid. Only side effects are a horrible metallic taste, diarrhea, liver problems, muscle aches, and high blood pressure. Plus, it's not been proven yet to treat Long Covid, and for some people it can cause Covid to rebound and become worse!
ITAS1  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2022 4:59:10 AM(UTC)
ITAS1

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2020(UTC)
Posts: 5

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I’m in Appeals and we’ve had to go into the office twice per pay period to pick up and drop off cases throughout the pandemic. When we RTO in June I will be forced to stay the entire day.

I’m not looking forward to RTO because other than hanging around for maybe 30 minutes to get some supplies, there’s no legit business reason for me to be there. None of my team works on the same days and my Manager isn’t even there when I go in. It feels like we’re going back just to go back.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 24, 2022 5:00:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2022 6:02:52 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 960
United States

Thanks: 20 times
Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I agree the optics were poor to have NTEU in the office. To be fair we can't assume their personal situation allowed them to telework. I would like to see a written reply from NTEU as to why they were working in the office and why they see that as not undermining its membership.

Prior to covid many companies had telework that had the ring around it to be a financial penalty issue to work from home. Primarily telework was designed around the financial penalty for parents, caregivers, disabled and older workers that didn't save enough to retire. There is bias thinking that telework allows workers to find another job. There are economic fallacies that the loss of in person reporting to the office undermines management control and local business.

I found it odd that NTEU founded in Wisconsin didn't apply the history of that states history on telework. Many Wisconsin companies have had telework for decades. The truth is Wisconsin industries used telework as a reward/punishment system. Workers had to be with the company for so long, had to meet performance levels & accept pay/benefit cuts. Almost always teleworkers were not paid sick time as a tradeoff. 50% pay reduction or minimum wage pay for vacation is common for teleworkers up north. Teleworkers seldom had more than healthcare coverage as a benefit due to benefit rules. Supervisors of telework units often had 100 or more employees because there was far less administrative duties. In some companies you could do 30 days in the office a year for added benefits like dental and vision.

Benefits. How much would you trade off for 100% telework? Decimal monster as we say back home, to care for a sick family member you take a pay cut & things go on until you get food stamps. The accountant rodeo.

I don't agree with RTO. Based on my experience of the payback for telework from Wisconsin I'll be a pretender for awhile as I roll closer to retirement. If it gets too much oh well, its just a job.

















We should’ve been back in the office last September.

I’ll never forget sitting in a meeting and someone in NTEU saying ‘we won’t go back until it’s absolutely safe to do so’. When I asked him to quantify that statement he wouldn’t.

We should have as much telework as possible for a lot of reason. But NTEU has screwed us. And I’m leaving in PP15
Hired 2015  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2022 5:16:24 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 309

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Having been on both sides of the bargaining table with AFSCME/AFL-CIO and on the management side facing off against the Teamsters its never as cut and dry as it looks. Hint, I won against the Teamsters in my first job as a manager because I was the union president's daughter.

Not defending either side just stating the pragmatic reality. Its the pragmatic, the devil in the details, those often sidetracks both labor and management.

There just is an art to the bargaining table. It takes an artist to paint the picture. The union failed at two issues. One, LWOP exception. Two, equipment. Those bases should of been covered even if more concessions had to be made for less telework. You can always grow but its pretty hard to put the jeannie back in the bottle.

The rush to educate labor leaders lost the art of the bargaining table. My mother didn't have a stitch of accounting skills and no understanding of public budgets when she wrote the first union contract for an AFSCME local. The first contract was a few pages long. The fill in the contract came later when the labor attorneys got on the bargaining table. My mother opened the door and envisioned FMLA in 1965. Her local members had a clause in their hiring paperwork that barred any leave during the school year. They had to quit at 6 months and petition for rehire.

After 20 years as union president my mother would go on to other offices and the union members had rights we take so much for granted today. 1965 the workers could not have any food at their desks, no beverages, there was no paid time off for any urgent sick needs, men could not be hired in many jobs including as clerk or secretary, women had to adhere to dress codes standards where they could be fired, paychecks were delivered only on Mondays after 5pm when shifts ended at 3pm and the banks closed at 5pm, there was no direct deposit, workers had to used approved supplies at their desks and there was no tolerance for having any personal pictures at work.

There is an old saying steady on the horse reins in the buggy race.

How could 100% telework really function without 2 sets of equipment?
LWOP can cover FMLA so really moms would have to sacrifice maternity leave?

Working 9 to 5, it is better than it was and not as great as it could be. Rock It Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xxv_Fizvsw









cs79  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2022 4:17:37 PM(UTC)
cs79

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/6/2016(UTC)
Posts: 196
United States
Location: Maryland

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 34 post(s)

Nobody on my team or in my section is at the POD, kind of stupid to show up, put the people that have to go in for paperwork or maintaining servers at risk with unnecessary workers at the PODs. I don't think they will shutdown if the cases increase, just wear a mask I saw in one email. I got something from the union rep about testing people that are not vaccinated, "it's safe to go in" -- why do you need to test if it is safe to go in?

I was just talking to someone who got covid in Dec and can't smell or taste anything, probably never will. My uncle's brother is on oxygen and has been for several months, he is in his 70s but was healthy before he got covid. Others just get a bad cold or nothing at all, such an unpredictable disease.

Hospitalizations and deaths are up, most of the country is high:

https://covid.cdc.gov/co...-type=Risk&null=Risk

During covid our project is now way ahead of schedule and we just got a commissioner award for the project. My boss says it's crazy that we have to go in since we have proved that we can work well at home. Last week there were 2 cases at my boss's POD and one at mine. My boss did say that folks higher up are trying to approach OPM to relax the rules, I think it would take a long time to do that.

My spouse and I have some health issues that put us at higher risk. I was thinking about working a couple of more years, I'm eligible to retire, I may just retire if they make us go in.


Gal Friday  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2022 5:41:57 PM(UTC)
Gal Friday

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 896

Thanks: 155 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ITAS1 Go to Quoted Post
I’m in Appeals and we’ve had to go into the office twice per pay period to pick up and drop off cases throughout the pandemic. When we RTO in June I will be forced to stay the entire day.

I’m not looking forward to RTO because other than hanging around for maybe 30 minutes to get some supplies, there’s no legit business reason for me to be there. None of my team works on the same days and my Manager isn’t even there when I go in. It feels like we’re going back just to go back.


Agree. I think it's politics ... it doesn't look good to the public to have empty government buildings. I'm not so sure the June 25th date will be pushed back now. It's more likely everyone will have to go back for a few weeks until people end up in the hospital and then they will evacuate again later!
Hired 2015  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2022 6:09:05 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 309

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I was always more an Earth person that wanted to own a garden center. Accounting/tax career was never my choice where it just became because that is the work that was available. My reason for keeping up appearances to return to the office is to fund my Earth person side. I have been donating supplies and teaching for free to help others grow backyard veggie gardens that are very helpful as food prices rise.

Its just a job in a no guarantees life. Flexibility and life skills are the best resume assets. 2 years 11 months to go for retirement. After working 43 years that is just a minute or so left.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.737 seconds.