Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ashulein  
#41 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2022 6:41:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Here's for folks that actually care about the numbers... direct from the CDC.

Number of Cases: https://covid.cdc.gov/co...acker/#trends_dailycases

Number of Deaths: https://covid.cdc.gov/co...cker/#trends_dailydeaths

Number of Hospitalizations: https://covid.cdc.gov/co...#new-hospital-admissions

Currently the number average number of deaths is at it's lowest rate since July of 2021 and unlike in 2021 the death rate has remained fairly consistent for the past two months. This is the lowest sustained death rate since they started keeping track of deaths since this all started in March, 2020.

While the number of daily cases has slightly increased between March and May 2022 it well off its peak in January of 2022. Between March and May while the rate of cases slightly increased the average number of deaths/day actually decreased.

The number of hospitalizations is 75.8% off its peak in January, 2022.

Here's a fun one... Daily Test Volume: https://covid.cdc.gov/co...s_newtestresultsreported

Does it look familiar? How about looking at the curve as it relates to the number of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations. Perhaps the number of cases is somehow related to the number of tests?

Here's another fun one... https://covid.cdc.gov/co...er/#demographicsovertime

Based on those figures combined as of 7/2/2022 (0.03+ 0.05+ 0.11+ 0.28) there are currently 0.47 deaths/day/ 100,000 people it kills between the ages of 18-64 (the average working age). Any idea how many people there are in the US between the ages 18-64.. per the US census estimate as as of July, 2021 there are approximately 202,184,062 people in the US that fall into that category.

https://www.census.gov/q.../fact/table/US/PST045221

At that rate any guesses how many people that is per day for 202,184,062 people? Answer: approximately 950/ day. Over a week: 7 x 950= 6650. Over a month: 30 x 950= 28,500. Over a year: 365 x 950= 346,750. Over a year 346,750 people between the ages of 18- 64 will die of Covid at the current rate out of 202,184,062 based on the CDCs numbers for folk between 18- 64.

Now here is where it gets really fun so pay attention. Again, per the CDC there are as of today 1,015,568 total deaths in the US (meaning all age ranges). Statistically, Covid has been going on since March, 2020 (approximately 28 months). Per the mortality rate of 28,500 deaths/ month of the 18-65 group (based on current rates that are at their lowest since this has all been going on) we get this for the entire time of Covid. 28,500 x 28= 798,000 (79% of total Covid deaths for all ages). Does that seem off at all? Are 79% of the deaths people between the ages of 18- 64?

My math certainly may be off and statistics can prove anything but I know one thing for sure... the reported math is off and statistics can prove anything. Use your own brain and go back to work because poverty will kill you far more horrifically than Covid ever will (and at greater rates).
scottyd27  
#42 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2022 2:51:09 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
The IRS Aja’s lot of positions that you can work mostly from home. If yours doesn’t I suggest finding a position that does.
ThisHereFed  
#43 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 2:10:23 PM(UTC)
ThisHereFed

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cs79 Go to Quoted Post

Nobody on my team or in my section is at the POD, kind of stupid to show up, put the people that have to go in for paperwork or maintaining servers at risk with unnecessary workers at the PODs. I don't think they will shutdown if the cases increase, just wear a mask I saw in one email. I got something from the union rep about testing people that are not vaccinated, "it's safe to go in" -- why do you need to test if it is safe to go in?

I was just talking to someone who got covid in Dec and can't smell or taste anything, probably never will. My uncle's brother is on oxygen and has been for several months, he is in his 70s but was healthy before he got covid. Others just get a bad cold or nothing at all, such an unpredictable disease.

Hospitalizations and deaths are up, most of the country is high:

https://covid.cdc.gov/co...-type=Risk&null=Risk

During covid our project is now way ahead of schedule and we just got a commissioner award for the project. My boss says it's crazy that we have to go in since we have proved that we can work well at home. Last week there were 2 cases at my boss's POD and one at mine. My boss did say that folks higher up are trying to approach OPM to relax the rules, I think it would take a long time to do that.

My spouse and I have some health issues that put us at higher risk. I was thinking about working a couple of more years, I'm eligible to retire, I may just retire if they make us go in.

I’m in W&I and we had a meeting and were told Home PODs will be piloted in 1-3 months for certain areas with portable work. I’m excited about that. At my building, when I go in, I have to hotel, don’t have the proper equipment and have to pay for parking. There’s no reason to go in especially since we have all these tools and can collaborate using MS Teams.

cs79  
#44 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 4:32:45 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post

I’m in W&I and we had a meeting and were told Home PODs will be piloted in 1-3 months for certain areas with portable work. I’m excited about that. At my building, when I go in, I have to hotel, don’t have the proper equipment and have to pay for parking. There’s no reason to go in especially since we have all these tools and can collaborate using MS Teams.

AD had a town hall today but I had an important meeting so I missed it. I'll have to ask someone who attended if they said anything about home PODs.
Hired 2015  
#45 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2022 4:48:13 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Coping with the aggressive driving on the drive to the office. Loosing time on a stress filled commute. Not the same office with everyone under stress. Its just not the same world out there. Lots of pros/cons.

Its not the same job in the office where its feels out of snyc.
MJE  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2022 8:58:26 AM(UTC)
MJE

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Lots of complainers. It amazes me how many folks act like they truly are veterans of war because of the previous lockdowns. I was somewhat against RTO but now I'm in the camp of telling you to find another job if you don't want to fulfill what's asked of you. People complaining at the office is making it worse for the ones actually doing what they are paid to do.
ThisHereFed  
#47 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 5:05:16 PM(UTC)
ThisHereFed

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MJE Go to Quoted Post
Lots of complainers. It amazes me how many folks act like they truly are veterans of war because of the previous lockdowns. I was somewhat against RTO but now I'm in the camp of telling you to find another job if you don't want to fulfill what's asked of you. People complaining at the office is making it worse for the ones actually doing what they are paid to do.

Everyone’s situation is different. At my POD we have to pay for parking and that’s absurd. Secondly, we hotel, and the desks don’t have monitors, keyboards, docking stations, nothing. So on my in office days, I only have my little laptop and its small screen. As an Analyst, it’s almost impossible to accomplish tasks with it. I’m actually less productive than I would be at home. If I could have the proper equipment, it wouldn’t be such an issue.
cs79  
#48 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 5:19:14 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MJE Go to Quoted Post

Everyone’s situation is different. At my POD we have to pay for parking and that’s absurd. Secondly, we hotel, and the desks don’t have monitors, keyboards, docking stations, nothing. So on my in office days, I only have my little laptop and its small screen. As an Analyst, it’s almost impossible to accomplish tasks with it. I’m actually less productive than I would be at home. If I could have the proper equipment, it wouldn’t be such an issue.

I'm a software dev and it would be difficult to use the laptop only. I need a couple of windows open at a time and it's hard to see anything on it & I get eye strain. I use my own big monitor at home, much more productive. I figure the IRS does not have the budget for one or could care less, but I value my eyes too much so I bought it before covid. If I sat in on meetings all day like the managers do, I wouldn't need it. The only problem is when I share my screen it's too small on other people's laptops.
Hired 2015  
#49 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2022 2:18:38 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Followed the saga of some city workers that refused to return to the office. They were terminated despite their petition drive for support. The city agencies impacted remained open. Family and friends of the returning workers were hired as temps to keep the cogs going.

There just are different rules for government workers of all layers.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed