Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Immafed  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2022 5:21:43 AM(UTC)
Immafed

Groups: Registered
United States

I have applied for hundreds, if not thousands, of federal jobs. I have only been hired into the one I am in, and that was 10 years ago. I don't like where I work, nor the people I work with, so I am trying to change positions. I am getting referrals to the hiring managers, but I am not getting beyond that point. Any recommendations to getting at least an interview once the referral happens?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2022 9:26:13 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Immafed Go to Quoted Post
I have applied for hundreds, if not thousands, of federal jobs. I have only been hired into the one I am in, and that was 10 years ago. I don't like where I work, nor the people I work with, so I am trying to change positions. I am getting referrals to the hiring managers, but I am not getting beyond that point. Any recommendations to getting at least an interview once the referral happens?
I applied to one federal Job and got it. That was 25 years ago. I didn't like the location (South Florida is a cesspool)

Edited by user Friday, June 17, 2022 2:53:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
Immafed on 5/25/2022(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2022 3:49:48 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Short answer...work on your resume. Your resume is good enough to get past HR to be referred. It then goes to the hiring official. They review the resumes to decide to to interview. Typically the top 3-10 get selected to interview (if there is one position. If there are several openings, the number interviewed could be more). If you aren't getting interviewed, then you need to work on the resume. Especially if you are applying to different agencies and still not getting interviewed.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Immafed on 5/25/2022(UTC)
FrankJr  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2022 12:22:12 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 121 post(s)

If you don't like the work or the people associated with the work the situation is reflected in the materials forwarded to the hiring managers, including the resume and the performance reviews. All things equal the hiring managers want to hire individuals with better performance reviews. No one likes the work or the people associated with the work; that is the nature of employment. No clue on the status of performance reviews, but the better option is to move forward with applications with an exceed or outstanding. The masses receive a meets. Worst case scenario work to add content to the performance review to better reflect future employment. The federal government is the one employer requiring performance reviews attached to resumes. I would assume the resume gets you referred and the performance review gets the attention of the hiring manager and the subsequent opportunity to move forward with the application.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 4:26:04 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

If you don't like the work or the people associated with the work the situation is reflected in the materials forwarded to the hiring managers, including the resume and the performance reviews. All things equal the hiring managers want to hire individuals with better performance reviews. No one likes the work or the people associated with the work; that is the nature of employment. No clue on the status of performance reviews, but the better option is to move forward with applications with an exceed or outstanding. The masses receive a meets. Worst case scenario work to add content to the performance review to better reflect future employment. The federal government is the one employer requiring performance reviews attached to resumes. I would assume the resume gets you referred and the performance review gets the attention of the hiring manager and the subsequent opportunity to move forward with the application.
Most announcements do not require appraisals to be submitted with your application. A few ask for them if you are in the same agency. A very few ask for them from other agencies. Your rating can be impacted by multiple issues: the type of rating system (DCIPS vs GS vs Demo programs like Acq Demo), are you working for an agency that does 5 tier vs 3 tier vs Pass/Fail, do you work for an easy rater vs hard rater, etc.

In my experience, asking for appraisal ratings tells me nothing about the person. For example, the person getting "meets" on their rating who hates where they work could turn out to be an outstanding employee who puts more effort into the new job as it got them away from where they hated the job. And someone who has been getting the highest ratings can turn out to be a waste of oxygen because they worked for someone who just gave everyone great ratings to avoid any grievances (or to make it easier to get rid of them!), etc, and this new employee turns out to have no clue how to do the job and now you are stuck dealing with this issue for at least 6-12 months as you have to give them a reasonable time to acclimate to the new job, etc even though it shouldn't take that long! (this is especially true if the new person came from another agency).
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed