Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RC911  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2022 7:08:34 PM(UTC)
RC911

Groups: Registered
United States

I am OCONUS in Asia and was recently approved for an 18 month extension beyond 5 years. Prior to the 18 month I was approved for 6 months totaling 7 years OCONUS.
I submitted a request to CPO and was denied RAT because my latest extension approved for 18 months. CPO advised my supervisor to extend me 6 months when my 5 year DEROS was coming up, then submit a request for 18 months. The reason for this was that getting a 6 month extension would be easier needing only wing commander approval.
I have been approved an additional 24 months beyond 5 years, 6 and 18 month extension, why is RAT being denied?

I've reached out to OPM for guidance but have not heard back yet.
tenchi71  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2022 1:51:36 PM(UTC)
tenchi71

This happened to me in Europe in 2019... The reason why you have been denied is because in order to qualify, you must extend for 24 months. They do not combine the separate extensions for the total. It must be a single 24 month extension. So each one of your extensions is standalone. It sucks. I think CPAC/Units are doing this on purpose to avoid having to pay for RAT travel.
RC911  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2022 6:51:30 AM(UTC)
RC911

United States

Originally Posted by: tenchi71 Go to Quoted Post
This happened to me in Europe in 2019... The reason why you have been denied is because in order to qualify, you must extend for 24 months. They do not combine the separate extensions for the total. It must be a single 24 month extension. So each one of your extensions is standalone. It sucks. I think CPAC/Units are doing this on purpose to avoid having to pay for RAT travel.

I contacted AFPC with my inquiry, no word yet. It was CPO that advised my organization to route a 6 month extension, and if the 6 month was approved, proceed with an 18 month. I don't understand the reasoning for that.
My 6 month extension went beyond the 6 months and CPO extended my time (CaC) by two months, why not just route the 24 month and not mess around with the wing commander having to sign twice?! There was no expectation that it would be approved.

Curious, how was your 24 month broken up? They recently denied a civilian that extended 12 months then decided to extended another 12, but that was their choice. If they are purposely doing this, they suck.
Lil Bits  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2022 9:17:30 AM(UTC)
Lil Bits

I was told this is the new normal to save money on RAT travel. I’ve known a few people in the last 3 years this has happened to friends at Camp Humphreys, employee applied for 2 year extension, leadership approves a 1 year and when time to apply again OTX approved another 1 year extension. No RAT travel.

My personal opinion, if you want a trip back to the USA after 5 years, pay for it yourself or you can PCS home. You are choosing/requesting to remain (your choice) living/working overseas so why should the Government/Tax payers fund your vacation home?

Edited by user Sunday, June 19, 2022 9:20:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FatHappyCat  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2022 3:41:39 PM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lil Bits Go to Quoted Post
I was told this is the new normal to save money on RAT travel. I’ve known a few people in the last 3 years this has happened to friends at Camp Humphreys, employee applied for 2 year extension, leadership approves a 1 year and when time to apply again OTX approved another 1 year extension. No RAT travel.

My personal opinion, if you want a trip back to the USA after 5 years, pay for it yourself or you can PCS home. You are choosing/requesting to remain (your choice) living/working overseas so why should the Government/Tax payers fund your vacation home?

SO two things...

1) The amount of money the government would save for RAT travel is absolutely minimal considering you're using DTS. A round trip ticket from Germany to the states would probably set the government back no more than a few hundred unless you live in Alaska/Hawaii or some other remote location. If money was the issue, they'd save much more by eliminating home leave...

2) Despite the generous compensation, extensions are often in the government's best interest. It's frustrating enough to replace people in CONUS in a timely manner, in an oversea locations it's nearly impossible. No decisionmaker/boss/CO wants someone to cut out after spending a year or two learning their job; often time with little or no notice.

Lil Bits  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2022 2:58:42 AM(UTC)
Lil Bits

I understand what you are saying. I recently PCS to CONUS from OCONUS after 12 years OCONUS. It was my choice, time to plant roots and prep for retirement.

Most RAT travel isn’t a couple hundred, it is family’s. Home leave is used and most often 2 to 4 weeks (29 days to not loose Post allowance). It is thousands $$$. When I took RAT travel (family of 7) we flew from Asia, stopped in Hawaii for a week then flew on to Florida. We flew back to Asia all 7 of us had to quarantine (Covid) for 2 weeks (government expense), tested positive and quarantine another 10 days. It was by no means a couple hundred dollars.

The budget cuts, budgets shrinking the amount of employees and families overseas times RAT travel isn’t Pennies.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 22, 2022 3:00:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed