Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mitch12  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2022 4:16:55 AM(UTC)
Mitch12

Groups: Registered

Currently a GS13 Step 4 receiving Step 5 in September.Received an offer for GS14 for Step 1, but should it be Step 2 as I am eligible for my step within the next few months? I know the 2 Step rule applies but does it count from my Step 4 or should it be viewed as Step 5 as I’m so close to the 5 with almost 2 years in from the 4.
old fed  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2022 11:12:42 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 73 post(s)
it is viewed as what step you are, not what step you will be in September.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2022 11:35:06 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mitch12 Go to Quoted Post
Currently a GS13 Step 4 receiving Step 5 in September.Received an offer for GS14 for Step 1, but should it be Step 2 as I am eligible for my step within the next few months? I know the 2 Step rule applies but does it count from my Step 4 or should it be viewed as Step 5 as I’m so close to the 5 with almost 2 years in from the 4.
Are you a step 4 or step 5? If you are step 4, that is when it if counted from, not the "almost at step 5" (we call "almost at step 5" a simple "step 4").

So to answer your question: Nope...unless you are the step it does not count. If you are close, you can ask for the start date to be after the within grade increase occurs (ie the pay period after your step 5 kicks in). I did this when I went from -12 to -13 as I was close to my step 5. I pushed the start date to the pay period after and started at -13 step 2 vs step 1.

Exception: If you move from GS (or GG) to a payband system, then they do a buy in of the time towards the next step, but that is because the paybands do not have steps, and so your pay can get set appropriately within the band.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed