Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ccaforever  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2022 6:30:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I’m on AL from 7/2 through 7/9. On Tuesday, 6/28, I submitted a second request for AL from 7/9 through 7/16. On Thursday, 6/30, our current OIC tells me her last day is 7/2 and she will leave it up to the next OIC to approve or disapprove my AL request. When I come in on Friday, 7/1, the current OIC must have changed her mind and disapproved my AL.
I didn’t ask for an explanation. I do plan on asking the union but over the long weekend, I thought I would ask for some input. There seems to be a few things done wrong here. Shouldn’t I have received the response within 3 days? After that, it’s considered approved, right? Second, I was told that the next OIC was going to make the decision so now shouldn’t I be waiting for the new OIC to decide? Lastly, the “needs of service” reason seems questionable. There’s no other carrier asking for AL during this week.
Does management have a good enough reason to deny my AL request?
IACCA  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2022 6:37:42 PM(UTC)
IACCA

United States

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Well there are too many unknowns in your question. First thing I would tell you is to read your local and see what it says about how long your management has to respond to your request. In most cases the clock starts ticking once the request is given to your manager or their delegated representative. An example is in my offices, the time is 5 working days to respond to a leave request from the time it is submitted. Next, you said no other employees have requested the time off.... but how many routes or shifts are open already without the requests? How many can be off at one time in your craft? Needs of the service can mean many different things... if the unit is short and has already exceeded the number of employees per craft that can be off, then management can easily deny your leave. Also, just because you want time off doesn't mean they have to say yes.

Edited by user Friday, July 1, 2022 7:18:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"No excuses... Do the work"
thanks 1 user thanked IACCA for this useful post.
ccaforever on 7/1/2022(UTC)
ccaforever  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2022 7:29:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IACCA Go to Quoted Post
Well there are too many unknowns in your question. First thing I would tell you is to read your local and see what it says about how long your management has to respond to your request. In most cases the clock starts ticking once the request is giving to your manager or their delegated representative. An example is in my offices, the time is 5 working days to respond to a leave request from the time it is submitted. Next, you said no other employees have requested the time off.... but how many routes or shifts are open already without the requests? How many can be off at one time in your craft? Needs of the service can mean many different things... if the unit is short and has already exceeded the number of employees per craft that can be off, then management can easily deny your leave. Also, just because you want time off doesn't mean they have to say yes.

The local doesn’t specify any amount of days before management has to respond. I thought the standard was 3 days. There’s only 2 full city routes and an aux in our office. One person can be off at a time in our craft. We have a CCA and another full time regular city carrier. PLUS, CCAs in our area, but in other offices, are regularly (and I mean everyday) being used on rural routes. Lastly, the OIC didn’t even make any attempt to try to get help to try to cover the AL request. She just realized that it was her last day and denied the time so she wouldn’t have to leave it for the new OIC.
almost1  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2022 3:21:51 AM(UTC)
almost1

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Our mgmt says that 72hr thing isn't real.

Our mgmt also says ANY incidental leave requests will be denied. Unless it is your week in the vacation book that closed Dec 31, you will be denied.

So everyone just calls off. The last conversation I overheard about it was "they're telling us we will be denied any and all vacation time requests so they're forcing us to call in". A call in can't be denied. Sad, but that's where we are with this.

Edited by user Saturday, July 2, 2022 3:22:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked almost1 for this useful post.
ccaforever on 7/3/2022(UTC)
poorfamily  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2022 3:30:42 AM(UTC)
poorfamily

Was thanked: 202 time(s) in 148 post(s)
If your local states in writing that you are guaranteed one person off for AL and no one else is off on AL management must approve your timely request. Don't worry about how they will cover it. Management has sole control of staffing and scheduling. It's why they make the big bucks. Get with your union ASAP.

Does your local have a cutoff time for submitting AL requests? If you turn one in late then they can disapprove but it sounds like you were way early in your case.

The leave program is handled at the local level so there is no national standard for a three day response. In your office management can wait until the day before your leave to deny (if someone else is already off or you were late submitting the leave slip). Your branch should consider having that added in at the next local negotiation period.
Trump lost, by millions, both times.

Trump lied and 600,000 died.

Trump for Prison 2024

Lock him up.
thanks 1 user thanked poorfamily for this useful post.
ccaforever on 7/3/2022(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed