Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
porter  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2022 4:29:59 PM(UTC)
porter

Groups: Registered

Some federal jobs are posted as generic, throw everyhting at the kitchen sink position, with no job descriptions. What is the best way to find out what the job description and job position coding is, and what these codes mean? What documents would have this information, e.g. SF50?
Is it possible for find out what a pharmacist is coded as and what other information is used to determine job function and skills in the federal system when applying to new jobs and transferring.
I assume prospective managers use these codes and your resume? What else do they use? Is it customary to talk to your current federal manager? Is it true that HR disregards prior non-federal work experience/skills?

How can I find out this info?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2022 3:02:36 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1263 time(s) in 1004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: porter Go to Quoted Post
Some federal jobs are posted as generic, throw everyhting at the kitchen sink position, with no job descriptions. What is the best way to find out what the job description and job position coding is, and what these codes mean? What documents would have this information, e.g. SF50?
Is it possible for find out what a pharmacist is coded as and what other information is used to determine job function and skills in the federal system when applying to new jobs and transferring.
I assume prospective managers use these codes and your resume? What else do they use? Is it customary to talk to your current federal manager? Is it true that HR disregards prior non-federal work experience/skills?

Every job has a Position Description. Granted, some of these are fairly generic and are loose enough that they are used across an enterprise with each actual Position varying in specific duties which should be outlined in the performance plan used for the appraisal.

OPM has general position standards that apply to each job series. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-...qualification-standards/ Here is the write up for on the Pharmacy series.https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-.../pharmacist-series-0660/

And it is not true that HR disregards prior non-fed work experience/skills. In fact, the federal government will even consider volunteer work in the resume if that demonstrates the skill. We recognize that most people start their careers outside of the federal government and so gain valuable experience and skills in the private sector. However, they need to be relevant to the position being applied for. For example, while I have a tonne of experience working Electronics and Avionics, that does not apply to my current career and so is not in my resume.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2022 11:21:38 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 124 post(s)

apply, move on; interview, move on; accept tentative offer, move on; accept final offer...

The job description is subjective, albeit public sector or private sector. You are putting far too much thought into the process (as there is no process).

As an example, the prior supervisor may or may not have been contacted by the current supervisor; but I know for a fact the prior supervisor didn't communicate with the current supervisor as the prior supervisor ceased to respond to email or calls some 6-12 months prior. Yes the prior supervisor ceased to respond to communications. He didn't even bother to open Outlook for months...
djp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 6:29:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 175 post(s)

There are job series families

Like 1500 series are fir mathematics, statistics, and computer science fields
400 are for chemistry and biology related fields
600 are medical job series

Many of these families have degree or course credit requirements to get through initial screening.

Other series don’t have degree requirements to apply.

Like 300 series are like this. Many use 0301 and 0343 series as catch all jobs that cab bypass degree/ class requirements.

My area is in the 1500 series. Many use 343 to get people who has some data work but not enough credits to do it as a 1500 series.

OPM has series guidelines and point scoring systems that then equate to GS level.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed