Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigbelly  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:55:55 AM(UTC)
bigbelly

Groups: Registered

I'm sure this question has been asked, but i haven't found it yet. I applied for an IRS position that is listed as starting at GS-7 with a promotional potential of GS-12. Normally the postings i've seen list GS-7,9,12 or GS-7/9 with a promotional potential of 12. My question is, when it just has GS-7 and promotional of GS-12, how does the progession work? Do you move from gs-7 to gs-8, 9, 10, etc or is it typical to skip levels?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 11:59:55 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 379 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bigbelly Go to Quoted Post
I'm sure this question has been asked, but i haven't found it yet. I applied for an IRS position that is listed as starting at GS-7 with a promotional potential of GS-12. Normally the postings i've seen list GS-7,9,12 or GS-7/9 with a promotional potential of 12. My question is, when it just has GS-7 and promotional of GS-12, how does the progession work? Do you move from gs-7 to gs-8, 9, 10, etc or is it typical to skip levels?
My agency didn't even follow through on yearly Within grade raises. I was hired as a GS 11 with no promotion opportunity. My Supervisor made his own Position Description which was an exact duplicate of mine, and made himself a 14. Should be illegal
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2022 3:20:48 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 95 post(s)

It depends on the job. Some may be 7-8-9-10-11-12 while others are 7-9-11-12. That might be a question you can pose in the interview. Keep in mind that grade increases are not automatic like step increases. Often, the higher grades are for team leads with limited numbers of positions.
thanks 2 users thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
GWPDA on 8/4/2022(UTC), bigbelly on 8/9/2022(UTC)
djp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2022 6:19:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 174 post(s)

It would be 7-9-11-12.

No jobs go 7-8-9-10-11-12. The 7-8-9 jobs are capped at 10.

In ladder jobs it depends on the structure.

Some jobs you can come in at 7 or 9 or 11 at entry level then work and get promoted to next GS level after a year.

Some jobs designed around ladder like 11-12-13 usually has some limitations. The 13 level is limited only to team lead positions. You could be stuck at 12 until a 13 opens up.

When you do promotions it depends on what step and follow the 2 step rule. If say you were at 12 for a while where you walked to step 2 to step 6. Then if you got promoted to 13 you don’t go to 13 step 1 but you look at 12 step 6, add 2 steps to 8 and thrn see what 13 step you exceed thrn you go to the next step.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed