Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
porter  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2022 5:30:42 PM(UTC)
porter

Groups: Registered

The boss, at my first and new fed job, is really strict with time. Even in training, he asked me to sign a paper saying he talked to me about having an unlided coffee cup, CAC unattended and late to lunch a few times.
He says it's policy for this stuff to always be in writing. He is off as a social person, but this doesn't saound right to me. What is he trying to do here?
I went to the union and they said they could probably get it thrown out. They seemed to think that this action against management is normal, but I am worried about retaliation...

Later, I left work 14 minutes late and he called HR for guidance and was told he was forced to put something in writing?? I told him where I came from things were not as strict. (He keeps insisting the government is very strict on these matters and has a reputation for this on site.)

Can you elaborate on the union. The union talks a big game, says they will get the lateness to work, the late lunch, the coffee cup thrown out because I was never told I had to "ask for leave." That sounds as petty as the manager clown. The union claims that "this is the federal government an don't worry about retaliation from the manager." But like anywhere, the manager can just make up new nonsense. Union says too many of these can lead to firing if in my file and it's best to get them out.

Explain this probationary period? I thought it was one year, some say 90 days? No one has told me anything about this. I am leaning toward sweating it out here, as when I get out of training, I will have an office in another building a mile away, I only coming in once a month to do outpatient production work.

Apparently, the manager is my second-line evaluator, while my first-line evaluator is a someone else in a different clinic. What does this mean? Who is my supervisor? Who has power to fire?

Training is going slow and he won't give me a road map. Right now, a fellow clinician in the dpt. is watching me present outpatient cases.

Union suggested they ask if my training could be done by the first-line evaluator in the medical clinic.

Much obliged, sirs!

Edited by user Friday, August 26, 2022 2:05:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2022 2:07:53 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Originally Posted by: porter Go to Quoted Post
The boss, at my first and new fed job, is really strict with time. Even in training, he asked me to sign a paper saying he talked to me about having an unlided coffee cup, CAC unattended and late to lunch a few times.
He says it's policy for this stuff to always be in writing. He is off as a social person, but this doesn't saound right to me. What is he trying to do here?
I went to the union and they said they could probably get it thrown out. They seemed to think that this action against management is normal, but I am worried about retaliation...

Later, I left work 14 minutes late and he called HR for guidance and was told he was forced to put something in writing?? I told him where I came from things were not as strict. (He keeps insisting the government is very strict on these matters and has a reputation for this on site.)

Can you elaborate on the union. The union talks a big game, says they will get the lateness to work, the late lunch, the coffee cup thrown out because I was never told I had to "ask for leave." That sounds as petty as the manager clown. The union claims that "this is the federal government an don't worry about retaliation from the manager." But like anywhere, the manager can just make up new nonsense. Union says too many of these can lead to firing if in my file and it's best to get them out.

Explain this probationary period? I thought it was one year, some say 90 days? No one has told me anything about this. I am leaning toward sweating it out here, as when I get out of training, I will have an office in another building a mile away, I only coming in once a month to do outpatient production work.

Apparently, the pharmacist manager is my second-line evaluator, while my first-line evaluator is a medical doctor in the outpatient clinic. What does this mean? Who is my supervisor? Who has power to fire?

Training is going slow and he won't give me a road map. Right now, a clinical pharmacist in the dpt. is watching me present outpatient cases.

Union suggested they ask if my training could be done by the first-line evaluator in the medical clinic.

Much obliged, sirs!

The details of the probation period are in the stack of documents you signed when you accepted the job.

Based on the prior posts the job isn't a good fit and management is aware of the bad fit. Either do the job or go elsewhere immediately. If you are new to federal employment and within the probation timeline management doesn't need to document in excess to walk you out the door without a moment's notice.

Rhetorical, but the role is described as a pharmacy role and you have little if any awareness of detail. That doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by user Sunday, August 21, 2022 2:08:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

old fed  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2022 10:54:05 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: porter Go to Quoted Post

Apparently, the pharmacist manager is my second-line evaluator, while my first-line evaluator is a medical doctor in the outpatient clinic. What does this mean? Who is my supervisor? Who has power to fire?

Training is going slow and he won't give me a road map. Right now, a clinical pharmacist in the dpt. is watching me present outpatient cases.

Much obliged, sirs!

I can only guess at a few things here because I'm not confident you are providing a full picture. but...

your md evaluator is not going to train you. he/she has a totally different function and has different goals than your second line. I'm guessing they provide input to the person who does your performance review which will be the pharmacist mgr. that is the person who can fire you.

if I remember correctly you are getting a new program off the ground? if so, given your training and experience, there is an expectation that you can work independently and with minimal guidance/hand holding. you're a healthcare professional. rather than ask us what mgmt wants why not schedule time with him/her and ask for goals, etc. and how they see the program working. also ask the md, I assume they wanted the program, too? once you have a general framework the details you should be able to handle.

CAC unattended is piddly in some respects but come on, basic stuff. same with lids on beverages. I'm not sure if JCAHO is a concern for military installations but if it is you should know these little things get knickers in a twist.

I worked a 'regular' hospital b/4 my federal job. yes, things were more lax at the regular place, people strolled in late but stayed late when needed and expected not to ask for OT or comp. feds aren't that way generally. adapt to it. it's not the end of the world. it does seem petty and childish at times but it is what it is and plenty of folks manage it.

GSBS  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2022 2:38:16 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 336 post(s)
All I got out of these many different posts is Porter, who works as a Pharmacist, or the Government equivalent position, does not want to dispense medicine to people who are in the armed services, and also doesn't like the position setting. They weren't informed about the position, have no understanding what the job or job title is, and has no idea how to contact H.R. A lot of 'assuming' and "I was told" in the posts?

thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
FrankJr on 8/24/2022(UTC)
porter  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2022 6:19:32 PM(UTC)
porter

Basically, the question is, if he is the senior (second line) rater, but has almost no direct observation of me, as he is the pahrmacy manager and I work in the soldiers medical clinic, what input or how can he hurt me? The first line rater is the medical clinic MD woman. She sees me on a daily basis and we do patients together. The only standard and element the senior rater has is one day a month or so I work in the pharmacy. Both are my supervisors.

What can you tell me about these roles and how they come to rate me in my context? Who can fire me, who is the more powerful rater? etc. I am also concerned about meeting the four patients/day necessary to meet standards, as the soldiers are healthy and don't come in.

The plan is to get out after a year (probation is two years.)

I was told that the senior rater, though the higher rater? signs off on what the first line rater does? The first line rater is military and and MD, the second line rater is a civilian manager.
porter  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2022 1:23:33 PM(UTC)
porter

This isn't a hierarcial rater system, such as you guys are familiar with, but two departments involved. Could use some guidance.
Hired 2015  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2022 2:34:11 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
All layers of government have very old school ways. Worked for a city library in high school and the workers had to line up, sign out for the night in order of seniority and then clock out on a time clock. That was a bazillion years ago and the rules have never changed. Later when I worked for a government owned zoo the food that came up from the kitchens had to be hand signed for approval 3 times within 15 mins at the checkpoints or all the food got thrown out for safety reasons. The zoo had super strict rules to protect the animals. At the end of the day we had to stay at our station until the all clear came that the animals were accounted for. Then it took another 1 hour to get clocked out.

Some rules make sense and are timeless, some rule just don't make sense. Government is a disciplined entity and it all can get under your skin. I find taking every glass item of recycleables at home and breaking them into pieces in the bin helps. Take a walk, scream in the car, play the favorite workers song - take this job & then get up to get to work on time the next day. Life is long. Federal jobs are worth the effort. You will take it on the chin along the way.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed