Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Msn  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2022 5:01:26 PM(UTC)
Msn

Groups: Registered
United States

I’m a college student and pilot hoping to fly for the DEA or CBP, however I was hospitalized for depression and suicidal ideation (no attempt) as a minor although I have been taken off medication as my psychiatrist believed I was healed from what I was going through at the time. It’s been 3 years since I took any medication for depression but am concerned that the if I disclose the information to the agency which I am applying for, it will be immediately disqualifying. I am completely healthy now and haven’t had depression in years, even under stress, with my psychologist from the time backing me up. Any advice on if this is a deal breaker for my application (I’m planning on being completely honest). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
GRITS  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2022 5:24:18 AM(UTC)
GRITS

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Msn Go to Quoted Post
I’m a college student and pilot hoping to fly for the DEA or CBP, however I was hospitalized for depression and suicidal ideation (no attempt) as a minor although I have been taken off medication as my psychiatrist believed I was healed from what I was going through at the time. It’s been 3 years since I took any medication for depression but am concerned that the if I disclose the information to the agency which I am applying for, it will be immediately disqualifying. I am completely healthy now and haven’t had depression in years, even under stress, with my psychologist from the time backing me up. Any advice on if this is a deal breaker for my application (I’m planning on being completely honest). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I hope that these articles can be of help:

https://review42.com/res...und-check-disqualifiers/

https://www.fedweek.com/...ng-a-security-clearance/

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

Honest is the best policy some questions tend to have a time frame answer those accordingly. Good Luck!!
GSBS  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2022 12:20:30 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 336 post(s)
Usually the check for psychological issues needs to be listed for at least 7 years. Why not get some commercial flying time in, while exploring this line of work with the federal government. What about some military service?
djp  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2022 9:11:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 175 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Msn Go to Quoted Post

An alternate place is forest service and wildfire fighting. I don’t know if their planes match what you fly. They might nit flag the mental health.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed