Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KARL51  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 9:53:55 AM(UTC)
KARL51

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I applied and received a tentative offer and went through the reference check on a job after seeing it was labeled "low risk" in the USAjobs announcement.

Now, I find out (after just getting to the pre-screen on federal suitability) that it is not "low risk," but instead requires a "moderate risk, tier 2" investigation that I cannot pass due to having to declare bankruptcy after severe financial hardship, with inflation and being unemployed this summer.

I just emailed them why I am withdrawing, including telling the hiring manager.

It is better to withdraw than to be adjudicated "unsuitable" since then, I am barred from applying to federal jobs for a set period, even if my circumstances were to improve (which they are).

My question is: what is the problem with these job announcements that do not let applicants discern accurately the type of background check required?

This job announcement said "low risk," but then the security office said no, a "moderate risk tier 2" with credit check is required.

Not all "low risk" jobs require a credit check, but moderate risk ones definitely do.

DOD requires all jobs to have a credit check, but other federal agencies do not necessarily require it.

I just had a tentative offer for an agency that did not require that.

Now, because of relying on that inaccurate job announcement, I am back to square 1, after wasting the hiring manager's time and mine, and my references who had to be contacted.

What is the problem with these USAjob announcements containing erroneous information? Why is this? How does one communicate that they need to fix this?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 12:02:57 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 336 post(s)
I wouldn't have withdrawn my application? I filed BK after I was hired. Filled out the SF 86, and was delinquent on all obligations.

A FIS Tier 2 standard background investigation meets the suitability investigative requirement for non-sensitive positions designated as moderate risk public trust (requested using Standard Form 85P). Investigations conducted at Tiers 2-5 meet the minimum standard for an employee or contractor access to FTI.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed