Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RWB_1893  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2022 11:36:06 AM(UTC)
RWB_1893

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm a GS 12-2. I have two job offers, one is a local NH3 and the other is Hawaii for ND4. The NH3 is just a regular position for engineering while the ND4 is a lead but non-supervior role. Since both are paybands, can I ask for a monetary amount that falls in the respective band? Both are 12-1 to 13-10 and there's no cap. That said, the ND4 is treated as a 13 so at a minimum I would start as a 13-1 (which isn't bad for my local location, but for Hawaii I would want near the top giving the extreme cost of living difference). The NH3 seems like that would treat it as a lateral. I'm looking for a black or white yes it can be done legally, it no it cannot kind of answer...
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 5:12:41 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1224 time(s) in 976 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RWB_1893 Go to Quoted Post
I'm a GS 12-2. I have two job offers, one is a local NH3 and the other is Hawaii for ND4. The NH3 is just a regular position for engineering while the ND4 is a lead but non-supervior role. Since both are paybands, can I ask for a monetary amount that falls in the respective band? Both are 12-1 to 13-10 and there's no cap. That said, the ND4 is treated as a 13 so at a minimum I would start as a 13-1 (which isn't bad for my local location, but for Hawaii I would want near the top giving the extreme cost of living difference). The NH3 seems like that would treat it as a lateral. I'm looking for a black or white yes it can be done legally, it no it cannot kind of answer...
As you are already a federal employee, there are paysetting rules that are followed (as you are going to a payband, the first thing is the WIGI buy-in which is an increase based on how close you are to the next step. ie even for a lateral, you should see a pay increase.) Beyond that, not really much in negotiation going to happen.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
RWB_1893  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 5:28:13 AM(UTC)
RWB_1893

United States

That wasn't the answer I was looking for. You're talking more about probability which I'm not concerned with. I'm asking just for a yes or no, is it legal/with-in the rules.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 20, 2022 5:47:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 10:43:38 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

That wasn't the answer I was looking for. You're talking more about probability which I'm not concerned with. I'm asking just for ayes or no, is it legal/with-in the rules.
I was trying to be nice...NO. Federal Paysetting rules apply, but as you are going into a payband system, you need to ask those within it what the rules are.

RWB_1893  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 5:44:59 AM(UTC)
RWB_1893

United States

Again, you didn't even answer the question. At the end of it all, you really just took forever to say "I don't know"...Based on all the views and no replies it just confirms nobody actually know the axel answer which is scary. It should be black and white, no grey at all.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 20, 2022 5:47:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GWPDA  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 6:29:18 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 609 time(s) in 498 post(s)
"can I ask for a monetary amount that falls in the respective band? "

You can ask for anything you like. There is no certainty as to what the answer will be.
RWB_1893  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 6:50:36 AM(UTC)
RWB_1893

United States

I understand that. I've just seen personally from coworkers/friends how HR does it. Summer seem to just lie and say no, that isn't allowed but then you read other things where yes on a payband they can give you that. A better example that is black and white. You've never worked as a federal employee. You have years of experience to whatever job you're applying. Let's say it's a GS-13. They offer you a 13-1, you ask for a 13-10. That's allowed. The probability? That's a different story and battle all together. As far as everything I've read online, in OPM and other sources it seems like yes it's allowed for what I'm asking about. I'm told that a huge roadblock is extra the paperwork HR has to do and some will just lie and say no just so the person stops asking. I wi***** was on OPM clearly defined and easy to find too. GS rules are somewhat better but there's still some grey area too.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 8:33:37 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Again, you didn't even answer the question. At the end of it all, you really just took forever to say "I don't know"...Based on all the views and no replies it just confirms nobody actually know the axel answer which is scary. It should be black and white, no grey at all.
Each payband system is different and has their own rules. Some allow for a percentage increase if it is considered a promotion. If it is considered a lateral, then the WIGI buy in is it. Others have cuts where a position may be in a band, but it is placed in the upper or lower part of the band based on whether it is a supervisory position or not. And so on. You fail to provide enough information to give a simple "yes/no" response. The best we can give you is generalities as you have only provided generalities as to your situation.

Asking to be placed at the top of the band due to the new locality? (just like the GS pay system) Not going to happen. You can ask...just as I can ask to be made supreme leader of all I survey. Doesn't mean it will happen.

FBC  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2022 7:44:48 AM(UTC)
FBC

United States

I was promoted from GS-13 Step 6 to NH-4 last October. Moving from GS to NH has been properly described already, but I will repeat it here for convenience. Current GS employees are given the usual promotion increase based upon a very specific calculation process.

My step increase buy-in was calculated. Since there are no steps in pay bands, you are given credit for how close you are to your next step increase. I do not know if that was factored in before or after my two-step increase calculation was factored, but I think it was first. It doesn't really matter with regard to your question, though.

The two-step increase rule is that you will receive an increase equal to at least two steps increase from your current grade, but no less than at least step one of the new grade.

For me, this meant they looked at the pay for GS-13 Step 8 to find the minimum increase I would be given. Then they compared that to the GS-14 pay scale and found the step that was nearest to that amount, but not less than. If that amount did not at least get me to GS-14 Step 1, then that is what I would have been given. Then since you are moving to a pay band, in my case, NH, that became my pay in the NH-4 pay band for my promotion.

Since NH-3 covers, GS-12 Step 1 through GS-13 Step 10, you need to know whether they are calling this a promotion or a lateral move. If it is a promotion, they will follow the same process I described above. If it is a lateral move, you will only be given an increase based upon your step increase buy-in calculation.
FBC  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2022 8:10:12 AM(UTC)
FBC

United States

There is no negotiation for an increase to your pay band base pay due to locality change. You will automatically be given locality pay added to your base pay anyway. Pay will include the appropriate locality pay so that is not a factor. If you live in a higher locality pay area with the new position, you will be given the same locality pay percentage as a GS in that area is given. You won’t find a locality pay chart for your pay band, but I each locality pay area pay is calculated using the percentage regardless of pay scale type. For example, the Boston locality pay is 30.09 percent (I think). That is added to my base pay, and any increase to locality pay is also automatically given to all pay band employees each year.

Edited by user Saturday, September 24, 2022 8:15:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed