Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ask not  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2022 9:17:11 PM(UTC)
ask not

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
such as taxi driver tips, waiter tips, etc?

My supervisor at a private company told me that the company doesn't reimburse taxi driver tips.
Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 4:24:51 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 100 post(s)
may depend on the agency, but usually 10-15% is reimbursed.
GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 5:24:20 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 609 time(s) in 498 post(s)
Those are 'incidental expenses' and are covered under M&IE portion of the per diem. Some agencies (I'm told) lump everything all together, but others do not. In any case, tips for service are M&IE, and are dealt with at GSA, https://www.gsa.gov/trav...diem-rates/mie-breakdown
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 5:40:41 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1224 time(s) in 976 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ask not Go to Quoted Post
such as taxi driver tips, waiter tips, etc?

My supervisor at a private company told me that the company doesn't reimburse taxi driver tips.
No. However, when traveling, we don't pay meals on an actual cost basis but a flat rate per diem (while that is set at a per meal rate, you get it all whether you spend it or not). Hotel rooms and taxis are actual cost (better provide receipts!), though for hotels you are expected to find one at the government per diem rate or justify why you are not using one. Airfare/trains are at coach rate unless you have a reason for an upgrade (such as a disability or the flight is an extended length ie flying from DC to Australia).

You would want to check the Federal Travel Regs for specifics: https://www.gsa.gov/policy-regul...ederal-travel-regulation

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
smithandjones  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 9:13:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My agency reimburses taxi/uber tips up to 20 or 25% as those are normal transportation costs and authorized per the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR). Restaurant tips would be part of the daily per diem.

See §301-10.420 that makes clear you should be reimbursed for transportation to the airport including tips. If you have a courtesy shuttle or baggage handler those tips should be reimbursed as well. Bellmen are mentioned in another provision. So the FTR makes clear you should be reimbursed for such transportation tips but leaves the amount up to the agency to set limits.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/41/301-10.420
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Navy Bubblehead on 9/21/2022(UTC)
ask not  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2022 7:04:48 PM(UTC)
ask not

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The private company hired me to work for the government's contract job, so it gave me the money for per diem. I guess that my supervisor at that time didn't know the actual rule.

Did the government reimburse my taxi money afterwards to the private company?
tic32003  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2022 7:02:55 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ask not Go to Quoted Post
The private company hired me to work for the government's contract job, so it gave me the money for per diem. I guess that my supervisor at that time didn't know the actual rule.

Did the government reimburse my taxi money afterwards to the private company?

So you are not a Federal employee? Then no, you don't get reimbursed by the Federal government for travel*. That is between you and your private employer. As far as whether or not your employer included any travel expenses in their contract bid, no one would be able to answer that without seeing the actual contract.

*There are very limited circumstances where the Federal government will pay for a civilian's travel (invitational travel, job interview, etc.), but that doesn't sound like it applies here.

Quote:

§ 301-1.3 Who is eligible for TDY allowances?

(a) Employees traveling on official business;

(b) Interviewees performing pre-employment interview travel;

(c) Employees who must interrupt official business travel to perform emergency travel as a result of an incapacitating illness or injury or a personal emergency situation; and

(d) Threatened law enforcement/investigative employees and members of their family temporarily relocated to safeguard their lives because of a threat resulting from the employee's assigned duties.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed